Thread: Wrong forum...?

Wrong forum...?

Sorry for taking this up in the wrong (?) forum, but since I'm here and don' seem to get any answers anywhere else, I can but try...

A friend "drives" a WinXP, Intel PIII 600 MHz, TNT2 Pro, Phoenix VIA Apollo Pro 100 - ATX motherboard, 256 RAM and a PCI 288 Q3D II (nx) soundcard.

First, I've tried to talk him outta using XP, wich he is, 'cuz it is 1:st generation software from M-soft, and I've had problems with that in the past ...He refuses to go back to -98.

Now, The thing crashes when he's logging of, or to be more correct, it freezes. He has to disable the soundcard everytime he's logging of to stop the freeze...Is there any driver to fix this ?. I've beean around to a zillion forums to get an answer, but now I have to admit to my lack of knowledge.

Can U help ??

P-man
    You start to wonder if you really know yourself, when you smell your exkrements...

XP?

1. don't use Win XP
    2. don't use Win 98
    3. don't use Win NT
    4. don't use Win 2000
    5. don't use Win

That should help. No, but seriously, try to talk him into getting some distrobution of Linux. It's more stable, open source, dosen't freeze, and etc. etc. etc.

Remote_Access_

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Hmmm....he has to disable the soundcard every time? That tells me that maybe something like the 'Soundblaster emulation' is trying to st3@lz0r the IRQ from something really important, like the network card. I had this happen and when I went into device manager and disabled the emulation, I never had a problem after that. The only other thing I can think of is to find out what IRQ it's conflicting with and figure out what to change it to.

Hope this helps and tell him to go to linux!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Hmmm....he has to disable the soundcard every time? That tells me that maybe something like the 'Soundblaster emulation' is trying to st3@lz0r the IRQ from something really important, like the network card. I had this happen and when I went into device manager and disabled the emulation, I never had a problem after that. The only other thing I can think of is to find out what IRQ it's conflicting with and figure out what to change it to.

Hope this helps and tell him to go to linux!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

have you tried using the NT driver

http://www.aztech.com/driver/sound_pci288.htm
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Wrong Forum

I said he don't listens to what I say. Besides the point, considering Linux myself, donno anything 'bout it except what you just wrote 'bout it. Any 1:st time user thing out there ?

Thax a lot ya'all, will give him your tips.

P-man
    You start to wonder if you really know yourself, when you smell your exkrements...