Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Modem

Question Linux Modem

Hello,
    I have a Zoom External modem with the Controller (some externals come controller-less). I have followed the setup in the NHF on linuxnewbie.org, In the dialup I have selected the modem as "/dev/ttyS0" and it says the modem doesn't respond. Any help is appreciated.
    BTW: I didn't have a male 25pin-male to 9pin-male so I had to plug it into the paralell (printer) plug on the back of the pc.

Thanks in Advance.
    Jason

BTW: I didn't have a male 25pin-male to 9pin-male so I had to plug it into the paralell (printer) plug on the back of the pc.
    This is your problem. ttySx are used for serial communications (equivalent to com1 thru com4 on DOS/Windows) and the parallel port is lpx where x is a number 0 to however many you have. In other words, you need the proper connector to hook it to your serial. It shouldn't matter what the pin out is. If you don't have a 25 pin, you should get a cable with 9 pin serial. 25 pin serial and 9 pin serial both work, you just have to have a modem cable to hook to one or the other. (Though I'm not sure how you managed to connect it to your parallel port) Hope this helps.

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

Lightbulb Aha!

So I need a cable with 25pin to 9pin. I had a 25pin cable with male on both ends so I plugged one end into the modem and the other into the parallel port. Technically would configuring it /dev/lp0 instead /dev/ttys0 work? If it did work it would only be temporary. I might be able to find an adapter from 25pin-male to 9pin-female. I hope I hope I hope. It's 1:15am here or I would run to RadioShack!

Thanks....
    Jason

OOPs

Blonde Moment, forget the thing about "/dev/lp0" it must be 1am....

I am digging through my box of pc stuff now hoping I can find an adapter!

Exclamation Eureka!

Hey,
    I got connected using kPPPd. Is there something else I have to do once connected to the internet? This is the first time I have ever successfully configured a modem on linux. After connected I couldn't even ping. What else do I have to do? Is kPPPd the reccomended program to connect? I saw the RedHat PPP program, wasn't as impressed as I was with kPPPd.

Any and All Help Appreciated........

Jason

BTW: I had just the right adapter for the com port. :-)

In kppp, you need to set up your primary and secondary DNS lookup servers. You may also have to disable local DNS on connect. There is a check box in one of the tabs to do this. If those don't get you a ping, you may have some servers running that are preventing kppp from disabling the local DNS. (I had this problem when I installed VMware. It had a service that I had to disable manually before connecting, and could bring back up after connect. Annoying) good luck and hope this helped.

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

Yawn...

I am running into routing problems. I am going to contact my ISP tomorrow. I am connecting. It's the configuring. They might have changed something. Thanks everyone for your help.

Jason

P.S. Hopefully once I get info from ISP I will be good to go.

Exclamation Argh!

Hey,
    Bellsouth, My ISP, doesn't even know it's gateway IP. They can tell me the DNS but not the gateway IP. Is there any way to find this out on my own? I sent feedback and e-mail, but today is saturday so you know how that goes!

Any and All help appreciated!!

-Jason

P.S Phone nor Online support knows the gateway ip, or even what a "gateway" is. What exceptional tech support, eh?

Still trying

Hey,
    I can connect to my ISP, I think my problem is my DNS. I am using kppp, I have tried virtually every configuration to get connection. When looking at the lights on my modem I can send but I dont think I can recieve. Thats why I can ping but get no reply. What causes that? When I go into details of my connected the local and virtual address are two different things. (Address meaning IP)

Please Help!!

Jason

Thumbs up Yep DNS problem

Hi

All you have to do is go in Windows Dos mode and run this command when connected to your ISP

IPCONFIG -ALL|MORE

And note all the neccssary informations for future use, and do write back if it works.

-=SaC=-
    -=SaC=-