Thread: a shout out of thanks at Ouroboros

larryjs

a shout out of thanks at Ouroboros

I have had quit a number of problems with my girl freind's brother
    accessing my system While she and I were preoccupied.

This is Ouroboros solution. I think its worthy of its own thread!

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

larryjs wrote on 12-15-2001 08:04 PM:
    I never chastised you!.. I do not have 4 accounts either. If you go to another site without logging out from AO any one using your system can come back to the site and post messages in your name. My girlfriend's little brother was using my system while my girlfreind and I were...Umm....getting to know each other better. I checked all my past postings( I,myself have only made about 40) and I see all this garbage that was posted! Imagine the antipoints and the flames I got! I never thought he would do that...what makes it worse is that he is a smart little bastard...it will take me awhile to straighten this stuff out. I have made my scren saver activate at the 2 second mark..that should stop the little cuss!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, gotcha...

About the cookies thing(...'go to another site without logging out from AO...)...if you run a Windows OS put this in your autoexec.bat:

@DelTree /Y C:\WINDOWS\Temp
    @MD C:\WINDOWS\Temp
    @DelTree /Y C:\WINDOWS\Cookies
    @MD C:\WINDOWS\Cookies

and then reboot your system when you leave the desk to 'get to know people better'
    You could also download a cookiecutter program like 'Cookie Monster' from CNet and just run that really quick when you end a session.

Ouroboros

Other ideas:

Never store your ISP authentication information anywhere, just log on manually and log off when you go away from the computer.

Screensaver passwords and all their incarnations. (Screensaver can be run at the beginning of a windows session by putting a link in the /Start Menu/Startup/ folder too.)

You can change your AO profile settings so that auth information is not kept in cookies, but kept in links within the URL... not sure how that would help or change the situation.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Originally posted by Terr
    Other ideas:
    You can change your AO profile settings so that auth information is not kept in cookies, but kept in links within the URL... not sure how that would help or change the situation.
    Yep, I have that set that way too, it's the 'Browse with Cookies' option in the User Site Settings. Everytime one closes the AO window and then tries to return, one has to re-login...kind of a hassle, but worth it. It's too bad that most places don't even ask if you want to be tagged with cookies or not...

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor