Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecting 2 computers to 1 modem

Connecting 2 computers to 1 modem

Hey guys what do i need to connect 2 computers to 1 modem. I already have my ethernet cards and i dont need a hub all i need is cross over cables i just need to know what do i need to use only 1 modem

Senior since the 3 dot era
    There are many ways to do that.

What kind of OS do you have?

Post Network

Create a network...connect the two computers together...and share the modem plus software that is used to log on.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

connecting a win 98 to linux mandrake 8.1 the modem is on win 98 computer

Use some proxy/gateway/firewall software you can find them on Tucows.

Here are some:

Winproxy 1.1
    Rideaway
    Ositis Winproxy 4
    Analog proxy

You have to take one that suits your needs,
    some could only handle analog dial up, others xDSL, ISDN
    have a look.

Here is in short what you have to do:

- make your network work with private IP adresses
    like 192.168.xxx.xxx or 10.10.10.xx and subnetmask 255.255.255.0

- ping the computers to see or network connections are working

- Get some simple proxy prog to start with.

- Install it on the Win98 box (with connection online cause many of the progs do an autoconfig)

- use NAT (network adress translation), you could check this in the proxy prog. This way you only have one public IP the others are hidden for the net.

- set at your other box the gateway IP to the IP of the Win98 box running the proxy prog.

- config your browser to use proxy, set the proxy adress to the adress of the Win98 box (done by selecting connection with LAN, proxy)

- try it.

Victor

Nice post VictorKaum.

Yea...so what your doing, Ymets2k1, is making your Windows a proxy for your Mandrake to go through. Pretty neat.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

[WebCarnage]

Now I see the absurd thing in my post:
    Why use the win98 as proxy?

It's probably better to use the Linux box as proxy.
    It's more secure, more transparancy and perhaps some proxy prog is shipped with the Mandrake packet (I don't know, I use RedHat).

But when you are new to Linux and / or proxy progs, it is a lot easier to use M$ Win98.

good luck

Just a quick review... I have the Ostitis Winproxy 3 version, for 3 computers... and... it works, but it's BUGGY! Sometimes when I close it from the systray it crashes windows, other times it just doesn't work unless I do some mixture of opening and closing the program and connecting/disconnecting from my ISP. (DSL using windows DUN interface, PPP)
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Post VictorKaum

No need to get irritated at my post.

I was just implying that he'd probably like to use his Linux Distro over his Win9x. Afterall, this guy isn't looking for security precautions (although you should), but rather him not buying another modem. Of course if I were him I'd install my distro on both PC's. But you never know. Just to keep things safe, Ymets2k1, just beef up your Win98, that is if you take my advice. Buy/download a few firewalls. Make sure a good AV is installed - such as Norton or McAfee. And if you don't go bothering around with risky, dangerous people, then there should be no problem. But if you want to max out your security, swap - or even better, install Mandrake on both PC's - and work from there. You should be fine either way.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

dsl The horrors of point to point protocol over ethernet. winpoet bites. if your using winpoet, which used to crask my system all the time, you can replace it. If you search sympatico.(com?-ca?)in canada, one of their subscribers wrote his own pppoe package 47k total, increases your overall speed and does not crash your system.

windows comes with its own connection sharing software and in 2k it has a dial on demand feature. But if you like to spend your money, Tiny software has a real neat fw/proxy with port mapping, ip masq, and many other features.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”