Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ftp://mail.victim.com ???!!!

ftp://mail.victim.com ???!!!

While I was playing with one of our town's ISP's mail server, I typed "ftp://mail.the_isp.com" in my browser and get some files, I could see them, I just wonder what this mean: ftp://mail.somewhere.com
    is it a security hole? or something else...
    may be it is a newbie question or something lame

acidphreak
    Most likely ur just login in as a annon. login , or if its ur ISP it might just allow people with that ISP hostmask to get in. It could be many other things also but i highly doubt its any sort of security sploit

cya

Originally posted by acidphreak
    Most likely ur just login in as a annon. login , or if its ur ISP it might just allow people with that ISP hostmask to get in. It could be many other things also but i highly doubt its any sort of security sploit

cya
    No It is not my ISP, but i log in anonymously!

I'd have thought this meant the isp's mail server had ftp access as well - which it shouldn't. A company i worked for collected pop mail from a server and i noticed that a pop account also gave you telnet access and read/write ftp access, on a red hat 5.2 box - i changed mail hosts.

there is such a thing as ftp mail, but it sound more like an ftp server is runnung on the mail sever. what rights do you have on it?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

What OS and browser are you using? In win98 1st edition there is a setting in IE under tools/internet options/advanced called "let browser log into ftp sites anoymously" if you are using that version of IE check to see if this option is checked.

Originally posted by Tedob1
    there is such a thing as ftp mail, but it sound more like an ftp server is runnung on the mail sever. what rights do you have on it?
    I don't underestan what u mean by "what rights I have done on it" excuse me for my poor english.

but if u mean what Ihave done on that server, Ok I didn't do anything, I just take a look at the files , some exe and jpg files.

Are you able to download files from or upload files to the server?

If you are able to upload to the server then you have Read/Write rights to the server. If you can only view files, then you only have Read rights to the server.
    - Maverick

Originally posted by antihaxor
    What OS and browser are you using? In win98 1st edition there is a setting in IE under tools/internet options/advanced called "let browser log into ftp sites anoymously" if you are using that version of IE check to see if this option is checked.
    I always use opera browser, but I tested that both with opera and IE and I don't think that it depends on my browser , it must be something wrong in the romote server!

Originally posted by Maverick811
    Are you able to download files from or upload files to the server?

If you are able to upload to the server then you have Read/Write rights to the server. If you can only view files, then you only have Read rights to the server.
    No I can only read the files