Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the best programing language and platform?

In my humble opinion C is the gateway language. I've used a solid understanding of C to learn VB, Java, ABAP and Perl.

gaxprels

knowing one language well far outweighs knowing many.
    TCL is a language lacking any real practical use.
    oblio (hehbris),
    I mentioned TCL because antihaxor wanted to know a good language to know as a programmer, but is easy to learn. TCL is far from a useless language. You can do just as much with it (including network programming) as you can with Perl. It's easier to read TCL code. Many businesses use TCL derived languages for scripting. TCL/Tk is good for gui interfacing, and Expect is good for automating network scripts. Yes, businesses actually use the above mentioned languages (Wal-Mart Home Office is one of them.) I also stated that Perl looks better on a resume, so I am well aware that it isn't as much of a buzz word language. That doesn't make it any less valuable as a robust scripting language. As for knowing one language well outweighing knowing many... I agree, but only if it is the language the company you are going to be working for uses. He can not know this ahead of time (unless he is actively recruited by the company he wants to work for.) therefore my suggestions are perfectly fine.

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

c++

I think c++ is the best language. Its fast, powerful and if you can grasp it, then you can pretty much do any language out there. I usually use a WIN2K OS, but have tried it on Linux a couple times.

-Everyone knows that Linux makes the best platform though

dspeidel has the right idea...c++ is the best to begin and become proficient in.

larryjs
    java java java..... and did I say java?

I would have to say that C++ is a good language to learn because it gets you used to the syntax that is found in most other languages. Second up is VB because the syntax is very basic and it's really good for Windows-based progs. Java would have to be my third choice just for its similarities to both C++ and VB.
    Life is just a series of decisions, each one can alter your future and you can possibly end your life at any moment. Do you really want to be under the care of the Microsoft Support Center?!?!

Try some Visual languages, it´s easier to learn, but for real result learn some C/C++. Java is also easy to learn and it´s very useful for web designing. C/C++ are the ultimate languages as for me