Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my little bro broke windows

my little bro broke windows

my little bro installed dues ex on my computer and then downloaded some updates and new levels for it. and then he played it and it froze, and it wouldn't restart. then he just went to bed and didn't tell me that he broke it. so when i restart it i got an error saying that i couldn't load explorer. and i went to the windows help page and they told me to change system.ini and i did. then i restarted and i got a message telling me that i need to reinstall windows!

so i was wondering if any one new the way around using explorer. i know there is some way to use the old 3.1 UI
    any ideas?

Cool

ermm have u tried unintsalling what your lil bro installed?

Re: my little bro broke windows

and i went to the windows help page and they told me to change system.ini and i did. then i restarted and i got a message telling me that i need to reinstall windows!

so i was wondering if any one new the way around using explorer. i know there is some way to use the old 3.1 UI
    any ideas?
    Try reinstalling Windows . Your original configuration should be kept and the problem resolved. Back up any important documents you have first though.

ermm have u tried uninstalling what your lil bro installed?
    Thats the problem. It probably says reinstall Windows as soon as he gets into Windows i.e. It says it, then shuts down so he can't uninstall it, if you get my meaning .

Regards,

T6286

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

any ideas?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can get the Win3.x interface by changing Shell=explorer.exe to Shell=progman.exe in the system.ini
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Are you sure the fdd's IDE-cable hasn't been unplugged, because I remember beiing stuck with something like that quite a time ago. My error had been to (foolishly) plug the IDE-cable in the fdd backwardsly. Okay, before you all start shouting that my spelling sucks, English is not my motherlanguage. But you could try it. Maybe it'll do.

Grtz,

Okay, and here my error was that it's the wrong post. Sorry guys!

Grtz,

ok i edited system.ini and now i am in progman but i don't see any way to move around files to a diffrent drive. does any one know how to access filemanager or some other way besides in dos?

and does any one even remember how to use the 3.1 interface?

What change did you make to the system.ini file? Can you load windows in safe mode? If its not the change you made in the system.ini file try booting to a dos promt and doing a scanreg/restore choose a date BEFORE your little brother trashed it

that would be windows for you, when something like that happened to me when i was using 98 i just reinstalled, then when i realized that i was reinstalling at least once a month i came to my senses......