Thread: Kerberos

Kerberos

Hello everyone. I hope most of you here are familiar with the Kerberos authentication service. Its version 5 is often claimed to be a very secure implementation on open networks. With all the key exchanges that occur between the Authorization Server, the TGS, the application server and the client station, I wanted to know its advantage over the more traditional Unix/linux and windows network. Does Unix also employ such an exchange of tickets between the client and servers, or is the network password the only relevant authenticator?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

Actually, Kerberos was first created on Unix then ported over to Windows. I did a simplified paper on it for a course. I'd post it but JP don't like graphics. Maybe I'll send it in for the next Newsletter.

In the meantime, you might want to visit the origins of Kerberos at http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/

Hope this helps.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thanx., MsMittens but actually what I wanted to know was how Unix implements its authentication? Do all servers like the file-server, print server etc, maintain access control lists to compare against the user password?
    Also, would it be possible to have a look at ur course paper, if u still have it? Thanks again

Unhappy

Just getting this back to the top.... And hoping that somebody answers me!!!

Just getting this back to the top.. COMEON!!! THis is getting ludicrous!! I need to know this for a course project presentation!!!
    So ...P-L-E-A-S-E answer!