Page 6 of 111 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: The Worlds Longest Thread!

ehh, might as well.........

Happy holidays AO!!

Tenaga
    Life is just a series of decisions, each one can alter your future and you can possibly end your life at any moment. Do you really want to be under the care of the Microsoft Support Center?!?!

Re: Speaking of Avatars...

Originally posted by Kezil
    ...Can anyone provide me with some good sites to get an avatar (or even better: be willing to make one for me? pleasepleaseplease...?)
    Hey Kezil, i can make an avatar for you. I made my own avatar and if you like the workmanship I'll make you one. Just email me or catch me online to get it touch with me.
    Life is just a series of decisions, each one can alter your future and you can possibly end your life at any moment. Do you really want to be under the care of the Microsoft Support Center?!?!

hey, I dont post much, lol not at all really. I am just here to read really but I think it would be cool if everyone posted. Also I think we should just try to keep it one post per person and see how many we can get. Anyhow keep the post alive guys and gals.

bump

Banned
    Greetings All:

Urgh, time to add more hard drives to the mysql servers.....

While I'm at it, I really do love this smilie, and don't get a lot of opportunties to use it, sooooooooo

There..now I'm a part of it. I will forever we in the history books containing "The worlds longest thread". Well it a cool idea anyhow.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Just Keeping This On Top!!!!!!!!!!
    And Merry Christmas to all!!!!!!

hrms...just adding to the list!
    BTW lord of the rings came out... yesterday in new zeland! And in four days it's getting released here!! Crazy!~!~!!~
    I reccommend everyone to watch it! When does it get released in the US? (if it hasn't already)
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

Thumbs up

Happy Holidays to all To keep this thread going maybe we should all write a story??? one post at a time.. ..I'll start ..
    Once upon time in a land far away...
    \"SI JE PUIS\"

So did you think all posts here were going to be useless? I decided to prevent that by reposting my Basic programming tutorial here.

So you heard a long time ago about some programming language called QBasic. This language isn't used much anymore except in its new incarnation as visual basic. If you learn QBasic, vb is quite simple. So what am I going to show you today? How to write a simple program in QBasic. First of all Basic stands for "Quick Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code" and was developed in the 1960's as a simple way to learn programming. This first simple program will use multiplication to find the area of a room.

First of all the program in its entirety:

CLS
    INPUT "Please enter the length"; Length
    INPUT "Please enter the width"; Wdth
    LET Area = Length * Wdth
    PRINT "The area is"; Area
    END

QBasic is a very simple language, and for those programmers who are reading this that have never dealt with QBasic, this is an unstructured programming language meaning that you can use the GOSUB command to jump around to any place in the program at any time. Many experienced programmers do not like this feature, but when I took a class for this, it saved my life while writing programs. Also in this language there is no need to declare variables. Now I will explain the program line by line.

CLS
    This command tells QBasic to clear the screen. Often times this is needed because old data from the same program doesnt automatically disappear.

INPUT "Please enter the length "; Length
    This tells Basic to accept input from the user, and displays a message with the text in it. This user input is then assigned to the numeric variable "Length".

INPUT "Please enter the width "; Wdth
    This is the same as the "Length" variable except one thing. If you havent noticed Ive been misspelling the variable "Wdth". This is because the word "Width is a word that is reserved.

LET Area = Length * Wdth
    This is the mathematical function in the program. Once again since the variables don't have to be declared, it is easy to use "Area".

Shows on the screen the sentence followed by the results of your calculation.

END
    After you are finished you must tell QBasic that the program is finished. This is accomplished using the "END" command.

A program of a similar nature written in java, or C++ would have taken a longer to write and more code. There is a lot more to QBasic, but this should get you started on your way. I feel that QBasic still has use as a teaching aid and that it is important to learn. If you need a QBasic compiler, Microsoft has a small one known as QBasic. There isnt anywhere free to find it except inside a textbook at the public library. If there are any mistakes in my post feel free to correct them.

In addition to those QBasic commands that are shown above I decided to add that a string variable(words or letters) can be identified by the "$" sign located at the end of it. An input string statement would look like this:

INPUT "Enter your name"; Name$

Next I will go over the goto command for QBasic, its called "GOSUB". This command enables you to go to a subroutine which is similar to a function in C++, and a method in Java. I will use the previous program to demonstrate how to use the subroutine. First the complete program.

CLS
    GOSUB MainRoutine
    END

MainRoutine:
    INPUT "Please enter the length"; Length
    INPUT "Please enter the width"; Wdth
    LET Area = Length * Wdth
    RETURN

The main difference between this and the original program is:

GOSUB MainRoutine
    This tells QBasic to jump to the part of the program with the name that is indicated.

MainRoutine:
    This tells QBasic that the subroutine begins here.

RETURN
    This tells QBasic to return to the main section. Unlike other programming languages, the data from within the subroutine is automatically available for use by other routines and the main program.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19