Thread: Definition of a Cracker

Post Definition of a Cracker

This definition came from PCFlank
    This is the best definition of a cracker I could find and it fits a few people here down to a T.

Cracker - is someone (a creep, really) who breaks into other people's computer systems often with the purpose of stealing confidential information or vandalizing the system. They are looking for a weakness in the computer's security, some channel into the system. There are more and more software and hardware tools being used in these attacks so practically any moron with basic PC skills can become a cracker.

The definition of a hacker from PCflank wasn't very detailed nor accurate so here's one from Webopedia:

Hacker - A slang term for a computer enthusiast, i.e., a person who enjoys learning programming languages and computer systems and can often be considered an expert on the subject(s). Among professional programmers, depending on how it used, the term can be either complimentary or derogatory, although it is developing an increasingly derogatory connotation. The pejorative sense of hacker is becoming more prominent largely because the popular press has coopted the term to refer to individuals who gain unauthorized access to computer systems for the purpose of stealing and corrupting data. Hackers, themselves, maintain that the proper term for such individuals is cracker.

The reason that the definition of a hacker has became derogatory is due to the increading number of script kiddz, virus writers, and the media. Being called a hacker used to be a very high compliment and most people took pride in it. Now the name has been drug through the mud and increasing over used. I don't see why the mainstream public can't distinguish the difference between the two..

Remote_Access_

Why can't we all just get along?

The media has distorted what a hacker is, as RA said. But if you call me a hacker, I will still be very pleased, because I know what it means. Maybe we should come up with a new term to call the true hackers of today...

God bless,
    --PhirePhreak
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

oblio
    definition of a glory hungry, wannabe + idiot -
    Remote Access

JeSuS dOn'T liKe My HeRb mAn

The media has distorted what a hacker is, as RA said. But if you call me a hacker, I will still be very pleased, because I know what it means. Maybe we should come up with a new term to call the true hackers of today...
    I hear you man.
    Personally I like the title "code poet". "Kung foo master" is another term I could get used to.
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

how about computer enthusiast? sounds harmless enough.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Talking Isn't a cracker this???.....

Eh. I'm being a smartass but I think it's funny. No doubt I'll get negative antipoints, but seriously does anyone actually care about antipoints?

Anyway, I always thought a cracker was accoding to http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=cracker

crack·er Pronunciation Key (krkr)
    n.
    1. A thin crisp wafer or biscuit, usually made of unsweetened dough.
    2. One that cracks, especially:
    a. A firecracker.
    b. A small cardboard cylinder covered with decorative paper that holds candy or a party favor and pops when a paper strip is pulled at one or both ends and torn.
    c. The apparatus used in the cracking of petroleum.
    d. One who makes unauthorized use of a computer, especially to tamper with data or programs.
    3. Offensive.
    a. Used as a disparaging term for a poor white person of the rural, especially southeast United States.
    b. Used as a disparaging term for a white person.

Ask Why?

\"The most incomprehensible thing about the world, is that it is at all comprehensible\" -Albert Einstein

"Network exploration hobbyist"
    These days, it seems that anyone remotely invovled with computers is a "hacker" according the media.
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.

"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work."

-Kevin Mitnick

How about......TEP :Technology Enthusiastic Person. This sounds like normal lingo...so instead of saying,"he's a hacker." it would be,"he's a TEPer." Just a suggestion.
    Fight the Power!

disregard this message. Accidental 2nd post. Undable to delete.
    Fight the Power!