Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redhat Networking

Redhat Networking

Hey!
    Just wondering, how would i go about to connect and internet share two computers, one running rehat linux, and the other running windows xp. I find it impossible to do it with a xp to xp box, so I'm now trying a linux to xp box.
    Thanks.

BTW, i was gonna do a seprate thread for this but, how do you people pronounce linux? Do you pronounce it LEE-NUX (said fast) or LIE-NUX or something else?
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

Well I'm not exactly an expert at networking-no less at Linux, but I believe you need to configure Samba to network it....I used to have a link to a really great web site which has excellent tutorials on doing this-I'll see if I can find it for you....I believe it's pronounced just like you see it.....it was named after the infamous man who started it all-Linus Torvald (don't think his last name is spelled right, but that's him).........
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

I think when you install linux (redhat at least), when its testing your soundcard, it has a sound clip of Linus saying how he pronounces linux.
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Thanks. But... i believe Samba is for linux - windows file/print sharing. I don't think it has anything to do with internet sharing.

When i look at Linux, i see both pronounciations that i mentioned before. i'm lost...
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

Did a quick google search for you, and found you this how-to

http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs197/...ects/scottblo/

Hope it helps..
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

To setup linux as a router because thats really what you are asking... you need to use ip masquerading and under the properties for the network device in XP , you need to specify the linux box as the gateway.
    You can visit the link below for a more in depth explanation
    http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html
    A+ Cert. Computer Technician

Originally posted by Matty Cross
    I think when you install linux (redhat at least), when its testing your soundcard, it has a sound clip of Linus saying how he pronounces linux.
    That's pretty kewl-I didn't know that because all of the systems I've installed linux never had a sound card....thx for the info.
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"

here is how.

Ok here is how.

Use redhat 7.2 and windows xp

First install redhat with router and SAMBA functions (You may need to select individual modules in the installation)
    then I suggest you use the KDE windows manager interface.

Next click the >>K<< then goto System.. Select Network Configuration.> Setup your router settings.. Then configure your samba.. (I suggest leaving samba localhost@localhost) for domain

now boot konqueror and type smb://(Computer Name of the XP box)

walla
    ------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Originally posted by Matty Cross
    Yeah but it's also available on:

in swedish:
    http://www.linux.org/info/sounds/swedish.au

in english:
    http://www.linux.org/info/sounds/english.au

Talking

That's awesome dude-thx....
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]