Thread: Won't boot

Question Won't boot

My daughters computer will not boot correctly? Here is the error message that occurs. Win98 system.

invalid VxD
    Dynamic link call from
    vwin32(01)+00000714 to device "0009", sevice 1
    windows configuration is invalid.

After acknowledging, the following message appears.
    Fatal exception O.E
    occured at 015F:BFFA9334

I can get the puter to boot to safe mode, but I am unsure where to begin looking for the problem.
    Thanks.....
    KNOWLEDGE IS OF TWO KINDS: We know a subject ourselves or we know where to find information upon it. SAMUEL JOHNSON

VxD dll error messages are usually the result of damaged or faulty drivers being installed. Try un installing any recently added software.

Hey Confirmed kill: She says that there was no new programs installed. I have searched the MS database and there are many intances of problems similar to this but none of the same exact problem. thanks for the reply will double check with her about any new programs.
    KNOWLEDGE IS OF TWO KINDS: We know a subject ourselves or we know where to find information upon it. SAMUEL JOHNSON

I think you best bet it to reformat and reinstall the OS. But make sure you back up!

Give it a try
    - Voodoo

Tell us some more about your daughters box, like did you have a firewall and antivirus running?

hello
    read this
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-S;q137335

i hope this helps

bye
    If God had intended
    Man to program,
    we would be born
    with serial I/O ports.

Thumbs up

Thanks all. I was able to resolve the problem, reinstalled the registry from the stored versions. After this I installed Norton AV and Wscript.KAKworm reared it's ugly head, I removed the worm. Now I need to return to check for complete removal. I.E use symantics info on the worm.
    I purchased the latest, NAV 2002 to help prevent these types of infections.
    She had zonealarm up and running, but her AV was a 98 version of McAffee, no good seeing how KAK was a worm released in 99! I have also configured her f/w for max protection while surfing, and followed Mark Jassons win security suggestions
    Once again thanks to all..... JIFFYPROGASM
    Here is the link to info on the KAK worm.
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...t.kakworm.html[/URL]

All previous posts are good, but try using a startup disk then reinstall windows. Then go to Scandisk and do a surface scan to look for bad clusters. It is easier than formatting your hard drive.

Thumbs up

Total chaos and all others: I returned today with info from symantic for removal of the worm, I checked her system using DOS and all appears clean, we installed NAV 2002 and no problems, updated her virus list using the online service. Also tightened her scripting security.
    The only "problem" I see is that microsoft dot com does not like it when you log on without active X enabled, next week I'll update her Win98 system.
    I changed NetBios so it is not opening a port.
    Now if I can just figure out just where the worm came from, any ideas???? one of my aunts usually sends mail via outlook, but she is not computer savy so getting her to check the sytem will be difficult at best. Can this worm operate without killing the machine?
    As always thanks. Jiffyprogasm....