Thread: Mail Servers

Post Mail Servers

I just got an SMTP and POP3 server and was wondering, if i put the email as user@ipddress in my user settings would other SMTP servers send directly to my ip without me having to do anything with DNS servers? Or is there some other way I have to go about this?

Off the top of my head, I'd say you'd be ok with the name@ipaddress format. If, however, you wanted a name@name.com format, you'd need to set up an MX record on your DNS.

-Wizeman
    \"It\'s only arrogrance if you can\'t back it up, otherwise it is confidence.\" - Me

if you get a domaine name, and email is directed to the ip address of the domaine name, weather a stand alone machine or a server behind a firewall published to that ip address using port mapping an MX record or even a domain name server are not necessary.
    using an ip address will work fine. its just a little inconvenient for people to remember, and you'll get those who havnt a clue what an ip address is and screw it up. your better of using a sub domain naming service like dynip or one of the others.
    if you don't have a dynamic address now theres a possibilty you may be getting one if your a cable or dsl user. if you use a naming service it will not matter what your ip address is or how many times it changes. A client sends your current address and the name you've chosen, so ever time it changes the service redirects to it you.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Thanks for the info.

This is a little off topic but oh well. I've never worked with a DNS server before, if I set one up how exactly does the server know what name goes to what ip? Do you have to type in a list or does it synchronize itself with the other servers?

Originally posted by tazjam
    This is a little off topic but oh well. I've never worked with a DNS server before, if I set one up how exactly does the server know what name goes to what ip? Do you have to type in a list or does it synchronize itself with the other servers?
    Both. For a domain that you host information for, you will have to either type in the information or synchronize with a machine that already has it.

You will be able to resolve any valid host name by virtue of the query system, where if your DNS machine does not have a listing, it will send a request to another DNS, which will in turn query others for it. Basically it knows the DNS machines for the top level domains (.com .net etc.) Then those DNS machines know the machines for the second level domains, antionline.com for example, and so on down the line until the host is found.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.