Thread: BBIagent Router Linux

Senior since the 3 dot era

BBIagent Router Linux

Does any1 has experience with this software?

BBIagent Linux router

http://www.bbiagent.net/en/index.html

AO members who follow this forum constantly know I had some troubles with a M$ based gateway server, so finally I was so angry I did format c: /s on it.

Linux would just be a better bet. I was wondering what version of Linux when I discovered this little software. Any1 advice?

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    It looks like this is to be used on a PC that's not being used with anything else, supports a wide range of NIC cards, and does quite a bit of things from handing out addresses and such. Not a bad idea but if you're planning on installing Linux, ipchains and firewall-config will do the same thing, while providing a working platform to let you do work, run services, and other things.

My opinion:
    That's a great piece of software, but it limits what the PC will do. You can't do anything else outside of that. Install Linux and run a firewall from there. This is really a solution if you have a spare PC sitting around doing nothing.

Hope this provides some help.

Oh yeah, unless you're wanting to really experiment and get "into the meat" of linux, Redhat, Suse, or Mandrake are all good starting points. I use RH 7.1 and it does a good job. Not to mention, support's there.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Re: Vorlin

Vorlin:
    I know that it will limit the box
    but I have still 80486 boxes to use so I don't mind if I use one for internetsharing only.

I'am trying to get it run but I have some probs with NIC config.
    I have replaced NIC's from other PC (PCI -> easier to get to work than ISA PnP).

I will be offline for some time to test linux gateway with my connection.

Thx for the help

bye

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

For configuring PCI NIC cards, if you have a diagnostic disk that came with the card, run that from DOS mode (make a startup disk from windows) and then check the card. Loopback should be fine, transmit/receive should be fine, chipset should be good, and a few others (depending on the maker of the card). I've found that Linksys, and DLink cards work really well, and 3Com are widely supported on just about anything linux-related.

If you need more help, feel free to AIM me at Blargho. I'm usually on all the time during the nighttime.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

My cards are working fine now.

I'am going to install a new image (kernel updated with I/O and IRQ nfo from both NIC's) of that NET4 Linux.

A btw Vorlin, I'am already using RedHat Linux 7.1 on a clientbox, and I'am happy with it.

The gateway is up and running, using that BBIagent -> this is fun

Security: OK
    All ports are stealthed

Hardware: OK
    You only need some very low end pc (80386/8MB RAM/FDD/no HDD) to connect theoreticaly 255 pc's to the net.

I'am using a P166 for it and this thing is fast. So any1 who want to set up a Linux based gateway PC but doesn't wan't to install the full Linux package (like a distribution) try it.

Other opinions about this BBIagent are welcome cause that was my first question to start this thread?