Thread: linux vs FAT32

linux vs FAT32

hello pals....
    help plzzzzz....

i have a 20gb hdd.on 10gb i have win 98 and on the other half i have RH linux 7.1 .i have a lot of songs on the win partition (FAT32).i want to play them on my linux XMMS.how can i do it .i tried mounting that partiton but got a message that it does not support FAT32 .so ...help....

It shuld be able to, i do it fine with mine, running win XP, mandrake 8.1, and redhat 7.2.

hello stresscrash
    can u give the command which u use plzzzz?

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar

fat32

Well, this is how I did it.

First, create a mount point.
    cd /
    mkdir /windows

Then, mount it.
    mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /windows/

That is all I did. Can't remember if the dev/hda1 comes first, or the /windows. It is in the man pages. If it still says you can't mount it, then there is probably a problem with your kernal. For some reason, you don't have FAT32 support in your kernal, and therefore, you will have to recompile it, and include the support. IT may be a module, but I doubt it. Haven't done much kernal work in years.

create the mount dir and then goto /etc/ and edit the file named "fstab" ... just use pico... add a line like the ones u already see in there... i can't remember how it exactly it has to look but simply set the right dir, disk, and filetype (vfat)... now ur windrive gets mounted automaticly next time u reboot and u can now (un)mount it just typing e.g. "mount windrive"... just read the manual (RTFM) it's all in there...
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds