Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with new Hard Drive Please

Hehe.....not a problem. Sorry for being to touchy. I think I need more caffeine. (Either that or not be at work)

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help everyone... I'm real busy right now and I wont get to try out your suggestions till Saturday, but when I get it working I will leave a post and let you know what worked.
    By the way the system is 1 year old 10gig hd, 400mgz pentium, 128 ram, and yes I set the bios to auto detect, tried all the jumper options.
    Anyway thanks again for all the help, I will solve this and let you all know what the problem is.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    The way I would solve this:

The only Bios prob here could be that it doesn't support disks larger than 36 GB although this is a very uncommon prob. (the 512MB, 2GB, 4GB, 8.4GB limits are more known probs)
    (Anyway if this is the case you can set smaller disk capacity or use some DDO prog.)

How to get the disks to work:

In BIOS: make sure EIDE channels are on
    Check wires (data and power) (data red side is 1)

- set your first disk on the primary EIDE cable and set HDD jumper to master set your BIOS to auto or fill in the specs yourself (they are on a label on the disk.)

- set your second disk on the second EIDE cable and set HDD jumper to master set your BIOS to auto or fill in the specs your self (they are on a label on the disk.)

leave the CDROMS disconnected or set them as slaves.

This normally works cause both Harddisks are on different EIDE channels. (And they are both primary so your system will even perform a little bit faster when you make a copy from one disk to the other.)

do a cold boot:
    your POST shows up with the message

primary IDE master detected: yourHDDbrand
    second IDE master detected: yourWD

now you could play with your disk:

run your disk tool from WD or run Fdisk
    make some partitions reboot and format them.

Got it to work

I finaly found the time to sit down and let everyone know that I got the computer to recognize the new hard drive.
    Thanks again for all the help.
    Sp1d3r, it was your suggestion of running fdisk that actually worked. The software that came with the new drive was supposed to do this, but for some reason couldn't.

Glad I could help

Sp1d3r

Try changing your HD jumper setting to cable select.
    - Voodoo