Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with new Hard Drive Please

Angry Help with new Hard Drive Please

Hi everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post so be nice to me.
    I need any sugestions for what I might be doing wrong here..
    I bought a new Western Digital 40 gig HD, Mounted it into my HP 6465 tower...pluged in the power cable and the 40 pin connector cable on the slave plug, ran CMOS, set the primary slave drive to auto detect and enabled it, Enabled LBA. CMOS seemed to recognise the new HD but when I reboted the comp with the floppy supplied by Westerd digital thats supposed to format and partition the new HD so I can use it.... the software wont recognise that the HD is installed!!!
    Any help would be great...thanks

Well first of all welcome to the list..

what you could do is instead of setting as a slave use cable select (CS) instead as long as you have only the 2 hard drives and 1 cd rom drive and of course your floppy drive..

to do this put your cd rom on the same IDE cable as the Hard drive that currently has the O/S on it... The second hard drive goes on its own IDE set as Cable Select (CS)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have 2 roms and the 2 hard drives what you would want to do is set 1 hard drive and one cdrom to IDE1 and one hard drive and other rom to IDE2

If you have a burner that would go on with the 2nd hard drive set as slave and the hard drive on IDE2 needs to be setup to cable select (CS)

Another thing you might consider is downloading Data Lifeguard Tools. this is a western digital tool that can be downloaded by clicking on the link..

You probably allready know this but just in case you didnt..Keep track of that disk..if you ever need to reformatt you will need this disk..Will not allow you to do this without the disk

Hope i didnt leave anything out
    and i hope this helps
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

Thanks...

Thanks for your reply, I have Data Tools on floppy that came with the hard drive that I'm trying to install. I'm kind of resticted by space in my tower as to where I mount the new HD, I had to put it under my floppy drive. The configuration looks like this.. top to bottom..
    CD rom..(primary on it's own cable)
    CD burner..( slave to the rom)
    Primary C drive..(own it's own cable)
    Floppy drive..(it's own cable)
    New 40 gig HD mounted verticaly to the bottom of the tower.. ( slave to the C drive cable..)
    I'm almost sure that it must be a cmos setting that I dont have right... I tried the jumper pins in the CS spot, and also in the slave spot and neither worked.
    If I cant figure it out tonight I'm just gonna break down and call the help line tommorow..... $179.00 this damn thing better work..
    Any way.. thanks for the help.

Thumbs up

You may need to change the jumper setting
    on the master C: drive.
    Dependind on the brand, it may have
    single/master /cs or some other set of choices.
    Master is correct when you have another, (slave)
    sharing its cable,but when alone it may
    require Single or cs or whatever.
    I've also heard that some brands may not
    always like to co-exist with other brands.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Try setting both drives(on the primary ide) to cable select(cs). Then go into the bios and let the bois re-auto-detect both drives. That should clear it up.If not please reply.

Hardware Idea

Hmmmm, anybody ever tell you that cable select is the devil! Most haddrive(s) will not even have jumper settings like a cdrom will. Normally they are cable select. I would suggest setting both your drives as masters on the primary and secondary IDE. Next, place the cdrom and burner as set slaves on either one of the IDE. For a test I would disconnect the cdrom/rom drives and only plug in the two hdd to see if they can will detect in the system. Of course, the floppy disk you are using is most likely hardcoded to look at the first partition and sees that it is not a WD harddrive so that is no go. But before you even get to that part....... Go to the bios and check your cmos configurations. Make sure that the IDE (primary & secondary) are set to autodetect or it is not gonna work. Save settings and then watch as it boots....it should attempt to detect both masters on the IDE......if it does we are in good shape and you only need to partition and format the drive. To do this use (I will assume you are running Windows) put in the boot disk and at the command prompt type fdisk. This will allow you to create a second partition. Choose to create an extended partition and opt to use all available disk space (if you want one huge 40gig chunk). After that....format d: reboot and see if it works.

Of course, this is all assuming that the bios you have on the existing board supports a harddrive that is 40gigs (it may show that you only have 8 gigs or so available). Also, if this computer uses EIDE (pentium class and up) you should be ok. If it is ancient then it does not use EIDE but IDE and will not support the drive. I hope this helps somewhat.....remember....remove all the extra crap out of the way so you can test just the harddrive to make sure it works and you can get it to detect.....then add the extra peripherals. Laterz

Cordially,

Sp1d3r

Talking oooh...new hdd, can i have your old one?

Hey, kool...tips from the thread. This is nice since I usually got problems that I just forgot to ask about. Thanx, fellas. BTW old man, whatchu doin' wit the old HDD? Can I have it? Purty pleeze Unless u got it marked for some other project. Just post me a message, much oblige......

dedklown

Re: Hardware Idea

Originally posted by Sp1d3r W0lf
    Hmmmm, anybody ever tell you that cable select is the devil! Most haddrive(s) will not even have jumper settings like a cdrom will. Normally they are cable select.
    All hardrives over 20gig should have a cable select jumper.....Most OEMs re: Dell, Gateway use the cs as the default setting on all ide drives. THEY claim that it helps avoid conflicts as most hardrives are sent out as cs.....Do what I suggested first Ole man..if that doesn't solve the issue let me know.

Oops

Damn, hunt a guy down after he types in a few words that you don't agree with. Ok, why not only connect a harddrive per IDE cable so we don't even have to worry about conflicts? Simply disconnect the cdrom and burner and then apply each drive to its own IDE cable and see if it detects. I have a good feeling it is a conflict but on the other hand he probably doesn't have an his bios set to autodetect on the cables (as apposed to manual). What was the size of his older harddrive. If he is running a 486 with an ancient drive in the first place then the bios will not even support the thing. Just some ideas, thanks for the correction though

Cordially,

Sp1d3r

Re: Oops

Originally posted by Sp1d3r W0lf
    Damn, hunt a guy down after he types in a few words that you don't agree with. Ok, why not only connect a harddrive per IDE cable so we don't even have to worry about conflicts? Simply disconnect the cdrom and burner and then apply each drive to its own IDE cable and see if it detects. I have a good feeling it is a conflict but on the other hand he probably doesn't have an his bios set to autodetect on the cables (as apposed to manual). What was the size of his older harddrive. If he is running a 486 with an ancient drive in the first place then the bios will not even support the thing. Just some ideas, thanks for the correction though

Cordially,

Sp1d3r
    I wasn't trying to come off in a bad way spider...I was just mentioning that oem's are using cs fro the auto-detect feature of the bios now....anyway we can try both ways and see if we can get it working...sorry for the "tude"