Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attitude

Exclamation Attitude

Ok I've seen quite a few posts and ebven some tutorials on what questions to ask at AO and which ones not to. But one thing I have yet to see alot written about is the manner in which you ask.
    What I'm talking about I suppouse is kinda like Netiquette.....
    for those of you who dont know what Netiquette is it is described as
    "Netiquette" is network etiquette, the do's and don'ts of online communication. Netiquette covers both common courtesy online and the informal "rules of the road" of cyberspace
    more information on it an be found here

Much the same as in real life the people on AO react differently depending on how you ask them for advice.

You wouldn't scream at someone

"Hey you how the ***** do I get to such&such"

cause the bast response your gonna get is a very polite p*ss off. When asking someone for a favour you have to be polite.
    This applies to AO as well cause thats just what your doing - your asking the other members of this community for a favour. No-one here (with the exception of JP and others involved with site managment) is being paid for answering questions. They only do it because they're good people who are trying to help others with their computer problems.
    When asking questions keep this in mind not only will it mean that your more likely to get a better response but it will help make you more of a member of the community as people will see that you are a nice person.

There is nothing that can breed dislike quicker than impolitness or ignorance. Both online and in real life.
    As well as being polite when asking a question please also try to remember that a thank you does not take alot of effort but is appriciated. Those peop-le who have triee to help you with your problem have taken time out of their lives to help you the least you can do is spend 30secs typing a quick thank you.
    We ain't talking academy award thank you speaches just a simple
    "Thanks for the help I'll give that a go"
    or something similar
    even you newbies who can't yet assign greenies don't be afraid to assign grey dots with a thank you message - most peps ain't to worried about the color of the dots just the setiment behind them!

Another area which you should be carefull about when writing replies or new threads is tone.
    The way in which you write your message can affect the way in which its percieved greatly. You may only be expressing your own opinion but with the wrong tone it may sound like your trying to force that opinion on others - which is a sure fire way of making enemies and getting negged.

Right well am gonna wrap it up now just thought I'd get that lil lot of my chest....hope it doesn't sound to pretentous >_<;

v_Ln

thank you valhallen
    Mike
    Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.....

Old Fart
    Well said valhallen. I don't expect anyone to kiss butt, but a modicum of respect goes a long way in obtaining cooperation from others. As the old saying goes, you can catch more flys with honey than you can with vinager. Substitute the word 'information' for 'flys' and you've captured the essence of what it takes to get results around here.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Banned
    Excellent words of advice, valhallen! I couldn't have said it better.

I've seen countless flame wars brimming with angry words, hate, and immaturity...all of which usually result in hurt feelings. However, this could all be prevented if only people would choose to behave in a polite and civil manner.

Just because nobody can actually look at us, doesn't mean we can forget manner here...
    Great idea, valhallen! You've got my vote to make this sticky!

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

valhallen,

really great. Something very informative. Thanx.
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=210 ۯ

UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity. Dennis Ritchie.

as old saying goes words hurt more than a punch . Physical wounds can be healed but what we say is there forever .

Thanx guys (& gurl's) I just hope that my lil piece of advice helps some newer members from making a silly mistake and gettin their threads killed or themsleves banned.

v_Ln

You would expect people to realize that they should be polite when soliciting information from people... however, sometimes the brightest stars don't shine on our part of the sky...

N2N

Thank's Valhallen. It is a great tutorial and I think we might have needed one. I gave you greenies with message, Great man.. Look out for my tutorial today!. That was me, I forgot to sign it. Sorry, anyways, Take care and nice Job!