Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This time M$ has gone too far

This time M$ has gone too far

I stumbled upon the following on Macrumors that I have to share, this makes my blood boil.

"It's final, Universal is going to release CDs that can only be played on some newer stereo systems and Windows-based PCs. There is no support for Macs, DVD Players, and some CD players. Microsoft must have paid them big bucks for this, (although Windows users won't be able to rip eather, just play). See the SiliconValley.com article. Time for Apple users to unite and lead a boycott, remember, as always, We Shall Provail."

You can read more here http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/ne...t/cd121701.htm

Cool

hmmm well they did it again..

just like what they did when they came up with M$ Office.. which was a "need" for every businesses but can ONLY be run in MS Windows O/S.. atleast now MS Office can also be run in Macintosh computers.. but thats not enough..

hopefully the govt will stick their noses in and do something about this.. Mr. Gates is "again" breaking the anti-trust law... and this time its in BIG BOLD LETTERS...

Well M$ launched Windows XP even when they had trouble, so either somebody in the gov. that is not on a M$ payroll does something or yet more ppl. will hesitate to take a step towards alternative OS's.

AntiOnline Senior Member
    I don't think MS has gone to far at all. If a company wishes to put out a new line of products (new CD's) and MS buys the rights to have it played on their PC's, then what is wrong with that? It is a simple business deal. Think about it.
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

Originally posted by uraloony
    I don't think MS has gone to far at all. If a company wishes to put out a new line of products (new CD's) and MS buys the rights to have it played on their PC's, then what is wrong with that? It is a simple business deal. Think about it.
    Simple business deal? oh really?
    if you where a Mac user and you just bought that Universal CD, regardless if you wanted to rip it or just listen to it, wouldn't you be just a little bit upset if you couldn't play it on your brand new Powerbook?

audio protection

I'd bett as soon as I get my hands on one of those cd's
    I can play and rip them with some linux tool...

All this protection of audio copyrights is a load of bull....

It is a (nearly) proven fact that filesharing uilities ar GOOD for the smaller bands and record lables..
    They increase peoples knowlege about bands, making people hear what they like...
    And then you buy smaller bands on cheaper cd's from local firms...

Filesharing protocols are the future..

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Originally posted by Focmaester
    Simple business deal? oh really?
    if you where a Mac user and you just bought that Universal CD, regardless if you wanted to rip it or just listen to it, wouldn't you be just a little bit upset if you couldn't play it on your brand new Powerbook?
    You have to be upset when you are at the store not at home: there is some label on the CD case that says something like this: "digital copyright protected. This CD can not be played on MAC, DVD and some older CD players" So if you purchase it with the intention to play it on a MAC that's not very smart...

Anyway it's still some kind of small discrimination when the title isn't available on another playable medium.

I think the whole idea is a bit silly. It is a business deal and I guess you're free to do what you want when you have that much power(maybe they shouldn't be), but not when it comes to entertainment. I could understand making certain software work with only certain OS's (not that I always agree, but I understand), because that only affects users of a certain OS which is the idea anyway, to get you to buy a cetain OS. Software and operating systems are related... But music and videos and stuff... these can be enjoyed by everyone, so why would anyone discriminate between who is and isn't allowed to be entertained by a product. That's elitist. Only owners of a certain brand/OS can use the CD? Any band with brains would say 'f*** you' to that idea. You'd get more fans releasing your cd on the internet, and probably more money too
    \"The problems we face cannot be solved by the minds that created them\" -Albert Einstein

Hehe, here I go again....probably gonna get flamed but its worth it. First, anti-trust is around only to keep people from monopolizing a particular industry. Having a certain product set out by a specific company does not fit the bill. Welcome to the world of business kiddies. If you don't like the idea.....tough ****. Next, not one word in the link specified anything about Microsoft (where the hell did you get that assumption?). What appears to be happening is the record industry can no longer afford people pirating music so they are comming up with new encryption methods that somehow effect dvd, playstation II, and Mac systems. I would blame it on the codecs but I haven't read about what they are exactly doing. From what I am reading....they are offering warnings and full refunds in case a moron does buy one and realizes he cannot play it on his mac. Just like a kid to assume things and throw it off as being an attempt to destroy the world. As far as it being in "black and white"..... those words sure are pretty aren't they?......try reading them

Cordially,

Sp1d3r

It's happened before...

Sp1d3r-W0lf gave me this idea right when he said: Playstation II.

As you can see, this has all been happening, but just not with M$ until recently.
    Example 1:

Billy just bought his X-Box to play. And since it's Christmas time he got Halo with it. Billy is happy.

Billy then see's his neighbor. ...But wait, he has a better game - Tony Hawks Pro Skater II ( ). Billy wants this game, so he asks if he can borrow it. Yet when he tries it on his X-Box it doesn't work, because the CD is for the GameCube instead.

Now...is this going against anti-trust laws? That the GameCube (lets say made Tony Hawk) made a game and said it should be only played on GameCubes and nothing else. If M$ wants to release a product solely for it's own OS thats fine. I find nothing bad about that, only that Apple isn' keeping up.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]