Thread: The Ideal

The Ideal

This an extension of the threads that I keep reading about P2P file sharing...

What do you guys think is the future of intilectual property?

Is it dead, is it even important in this day and age?

I keep seeing the MP3.com and Acidplanet artists, releasing *free* music that's better than a lot of studio stuff. Shareware like Gimp that is better than it's $100+ software counterpart (Adobe Photoshop in the case of Gimp). Is limited access to information dying? and what part do hackers have in this revolution?

Just a discussion stimulator...
    The sky above the port was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel- Neuromancer

I think that copyright is going to be just as important, it's royalties that will have to change. In other words, the useage of the copyright in order to be fairly compensated for someone using your copyrighted work.

I feel that all the file-sharing-shutdown attempts, the fudged-up CD's, and all the technological and most of the legal measures being used by the record/movie industries are doomed to failure. It has to be a social and/or marketing difference.

Enough identity with the cast or the band has to be produced so that the freeloaders of the 'net will realize that if they *really* liked the movie/music, they wouldn't just sit back and listen freely; They would contribute somehow... What about buying shares? (Read Snow Crash for an interesting take on this.)
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Talking MORPHEUS and the like

A lot of people I know use P2P software...

I think it is a good-thing that i can dl all the video-clips I like and all the Simpsons shows I missed...

THANKS P2P.........

I think it allso can be a tool to make the web a faster and safer place...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I loved Snow Crash, but it seemed to me that that book (and most Cyberpunk type lit.) implies a post-intilectual property world.
    Just look at the way Bruce Sterling put 'Hacker Crackdown' free on the web
    The sky above the port was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel- Neuromancer