Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux is Still not more stable!!!

Banned

Thumbs down Linux is Still not more stable!!!

So after all my linux troubles and you guys saying that there was no way in hell linux was messing up, I found that it cant possibly be my power supply. I gave up linux for the time being, and switched back to windows. Guess what, no crashing no failing for 8 days straight without turning the machine off. If my power supply is messed up then why does it work fine with windows? When I have linux on for more than a couple of hours it just freezes, or the modem just stops working. The power switch doesnt work, and I have to unplug the computer to reboot. For the last time linux is not more stable!!!

Thumbs down winmodem

Don't use a winmodem....

it uses a lot of processor power for the modem actions and is not fully supported by linux.
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Banned

Thumbs down Re: winmodem

Originally posted by the_JinX
    Don't use a winmodem....

it uses a lot of processor power for the modem actions and is not fully supported by linux.
    First of all I do not use a winmodem. I went to a computer store and out of the 50 different modems they had, 1 was compatible with linux. Its a driverless ISA modem. After a couple of hours I just all of the sudden get disconnected and when I try to reconnect the modem doesnt work. I have to restart to get it to work again. Second I am sick of linux users blaming their problems on hardware. Do you ever think the software could be to blame?

Yeah....but

audioluv:

As a linux newbie, I had similar problems. I hung in there until I found the problem. (in my case, it was a video card driver)

Once that was 'fixed'.........no more crashes.

Do the normal troubleshooting procedures, and I'm sure you will get it going.

Your right audioluv, you should stick to Windows.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

audioluv,
    What versions of Linux have you tried? What hardware do you have?
    Video Card, Sound Card, MotherBoard, RAM (amount and type), Hard Drive, Modem, Printer, Monitor, CD Roms/CDR/DVD drived, etc.

It may be that you are trying to do too many things with a weak system. Then again, it may be that you are just too lazy to do any research and learn how to user your system better.

Your right audioluv, you should stick to Windows.
    Maybe UberC0der is right. I don't know, I'm not in your shoes. (I acutally did the work, have been using linux for a little over 2 years now, and am now learning OpenBSD) Good luck. If you REALLY want to learn linux, try a little harder, and maybe we can help. If you're just looking for someone to hold your hand and spoon feed you, Windows is just what you need.

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You know, I've always found it a shame when I see people give up so easily on a problem. No. Wait. Easily isn't the word I want. Perhaps when people give up on a problem that if they figured it out, the benefits and advantages would be enormous. That's what I'm looking for. I went back over the original thread and saw that much got lost. We ended up with a discussion of which OS lasts longer than the other. I really couldn't care as long as people learn from it.

Audioluv, you've had one bad experience using one of the distributions of linux. I would like to ask you to try again but this time perhaps we can help you. When talking with gaxprels in IRC he commented that he asked for your hardware. I went to check the original thread and noticed that we forgot that very important point. So perhaps you could give us a blow-by-blow of your hardware, as detailed as possible. Video card, chip sets, network cards, audio cards, modem type, cpu, memory, hard drive, etc.

I'm inclined to think that it was as dcongram said. A driver that is being a pain.

I hope that you will reconsider as there is a wonderful world out there when you get to know many OSes. There are huge advantages (and some disadvantages -- do you know how hard it is to look intelligent when teaching linux and you keep typing in dir as a command?).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Linux isn't for dumb people. Not even the easiest distributions like SuSE and Mandrake are very good for computer beginners (I'm not calling you a beginner). Yes, Linux is going to give you more problems when you're first starting out. I went through it, my friend (known to you guys as psychosquee) went through it, and everybody else I have talked to has gone through it. It doesn't do all the work for you like Windows does. Sometimes you have to just stick it out and keep looking until you find the problem. When I first installed Red Hat 7 on my junker machine, I couldn't get my DNS configured. Finally, after days of fighting, I finally found the file with the DNS configuration in it. If I remember right, you're using Mandrake. I haven't done much on that distribution, but still just enough to know that I wasn't too fond of it. I have heard other bad things about the stability of Mandrake, but have never experienced any of them personally. Maybe you should try a different distribution. Red Hat and SuSE have both worked very well for me. Red Hat is available at most computer stores, but SuSE seems to be a little harder to find. If you have a lot of time on your hands, you can try to download it at ftp.suse.com. If you want, I can even try to send you either SuSE 7.3 or Red Hat 7 over the internet. It would take a LONG time, and isn't exactly the kind of thing you transfer over the internet successfully, but if you're interested, I'd be willing to give it a try for you.

I really think you should give Linux another shot. It really is great once you get over the initial problems. It was very recently that I switched over to SuSE 7.3 on this machine, and I don't think I could be talked into going back to Windows.

Yes, I seemed to remember you saying it was Mandrake, as well. When people on here ask "Which distribution is good for a beginner?" I tend to say "Mandrake" I forget sometimes that Mandrake likes to put a lot of "bleeding edge" software (beta stuff) in their distribution. Their installation and setup is a breeze for me, but I tend to fix problems as they arise without a second thought now. I do this because of experience. I have been using Linux since late '99 (and tried to use it off and on a couple of years before that.) We quickly did away with Windows on our system. I didn't miss anything (except some of my favorite games that are collecting dust.) I really would like to help. I know others here would, as well. In '99, it took me a month to finally get all of the right hardware. (I had a winmodem, an unsupported (by X) video card, a buggy sound card, and an unsupported printer. After getting the right video card, We couldn't get our monitor to look decent with any of the standard X configurations. I ended up having to learn to hack the X config file by hand to tweak it.) It was rough, and I got flamed a LOT when I asked "dumb" questions, but it was worth it. I expect I will get flamed a LOT while trying to learn OpenBSD. The BSD community seems to think Linux users are almost as worthless as Windows users. Good luck, and please let us help, if you are still interested in learning.

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

I am willing to help out, but on these conditions only.

1. That you start looking at this as a fun challenge by which you stand to actually learn a thing or two about computer hardware and how the OS works.

2. Next I want to know about your, HDD, Video Card, Sound Card, Modem, Ethernet Card, CDROM, DVD, CDRW, SCSI or IDE?, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc, you get the idea.

3. Then I want you to post the output of dmesg to this board if you want help. If you do not know how to do this, open a terminal and as `su' type:
    # dmesg > dmesg.txt

Then paste that into your post so we can see what the kernel has to say.

I also want to see your XFree86.0.log, you can find it under /var/log

4. Are you using an NVIDIA video card? If so are you using the NVIDIA driver? things like that.

If you do these things, or at least attempt to do them the best you can, I will help you.

If you are too lazy to do any of this, or do any reading for yourself and want a canned insta-answer then go back to Windows.

You will get no sympathy from Unix hackers when you complain about little isues if you have no desire to reasearch the issue and gain from the experience. Especially from someone like myself who has had to write device drivers to get a peice of hardware to work.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.