Thread: Personal Firewalls for Lunux

Personal Firewalls for Lunux

I was wondering if anyone knew of a personal firewall for Linux and if so where to find one. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanx.

The Eeshman

iptables, or go to http://www.freshmeat.net and do a search for firewalls there.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

Thanks

Thumbs up

IpCoder is right, firewall support is built-in in RedHat 7.2 or Mandrake 8.1.

You can configure it with netconf if you have no idea on how this is running a firewall. Otherwise put your hands in the scripts and IPtable.

If you need something ULTRA secure (which I think was not your question), have a look at BASTILLE package (shipped with Mandrake).

A+ hantiz./
    Linoux c\'est de la bombe bébé !

Hi Eeshman!

Good day to you! Aside from the good answers above, you might want to check this:http://www.firewallguide.com/linux.htm The page contains usefull links on linux security/firewall guides. Happy New Year

A blessed day to all!

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.......~ William Penn

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    The combination of ipchains (tutorial here) and a hardware firewall router (like the Dlink DI-704P or the Linksys BEFSR41) is just about the best way to secure an internal network. On windows-based pcs, getting something like ZoneAlarm or BlackIce Defender should be an early start for securing those pcs on the network.

Know that the security of any program or machine is only as good as the person who set it up.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.