Thread: linux question

Talking linux question

Hi there
    I was thinking of learning linux , I know almost nothing now.
    So I wanted to know if it is better to intall it on a different hardisk then my windows is on (if it matters) which version of linux and maybe some links. I want to be able to choose between linux and windows

Thanxs

I would personally recommend you get a junker machine and install it on that before you tackle installing it on your main machine. That way, you know what to expect when you put your main machine on the line.

It is possible to install Linux on the same hard drive as Windows, but not on the same partition, as they use different types of partitions. You can get a partitioning tool such as FIPS or Partition Magic to take care of resizing your partitions for you.

Yes, you can install Linux on a different hard drive as well. I believe what would happen if you installed Linux on a secondary hard drive, is that it would continue to boot into Windows, as your BIOS will still be set to boot from the primary hard drive first. In which case, you should be able to edit your boot.ini file if you run Windows NT or 2000. If you run 9x, I believe the file is win.ini, but I'm not sure about that.

I would recommend starting with either SuSE, Mandrake, or Red Hat. SuSE would probably be the best. Some people aren't too fond of Mandrake for various reasons, but it's still very easy. Red Hat is on the harder side of the easier distributions, in my opinion, and probably not the best choice for a primary operating system.

Yes, you can install Linux on a different hard drive as well. I believe what would happen if you installed Linux on a secondary hard drive, is that it would continue to boot into Windows, as your BIOS will still be set to boot from the primary hard drive first. In which case, you should be able to edit your boot.ini file if you run Windows NT or 2000. If you run 9x, I believe the file is win.ini, but I'm not sure about that.
    Or just make lilo rewrite the bootrecord of the primary (windows)partition...

that works for me...
    Win =hda1
    Lin =hdb1
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !