Thread: How to explore networks behind Linksys Routers

Exclamation How to explore networks behind Linksys Routers

I have 3 comps set up behind a Linksys 4port cable/dsl router
    and would like to know how one would explore, from the outside, to a computer behind the router. lets say my WAN IP is 66.77.88.99 and the computer I want to scan is 192.168.1.0.
    how would you go about doing that?

thanks,
    mnem0nic
    is a signature that important?

If you are thinking about "how would a cracker map my network" you can do several things...

If the router allows login connections, they could try to get into your router and look at the routing logs to see what it is connected to.

If it has firewalling, they could use "firewalking" techniques to map the network.
    (do a google search for the word "firewalk" or it may be listed in the "Top 50 Hacking Tools" at insecure.org)

There are other techniques I'm sure, but these seem to be the easiest (in my eyes.) Maybe some other people have some other ideas. Hope I've helped. Have fun.

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

Cool

hmmm.. yeah well gaxprels was right. those are the easy way and i think the only possible way to get through.

if i were to hack one of your workstations behind a Linksys router.. i'd try to crack into your router's log files first to get a list of your machines.. and get a rough idea of the map of ur network..

and if it has a firewall.. i'd go and look for an exploit for that firewall you are using..

lol if i was a evil coder.. i'd leave a code in your router to DOS your workstations and server...

but the very first step to everything is to find out what router you are using and are there any known bugs for that router..

Talking why?

what? You have some really juicy pics on your machine or what?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I dunno

sorry. I felt like being goofy today since I have to sit at work and do nothing until it's time to go home and get DRUNK!!!!!!!
    what a wasted work day in the middle of what might otherwise be a perfect vacation.. DAMN the corporate life.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Little more twisted

Hey Guys!

It sounds to me like the router running a NAT service also. Although you can grap information through open holes in the firewall. You would have to be able to comprimise the system that had a globally unique IP address and then work your way in. Hitting the router would be pretty much the only solution if it is completely playing host to the workstations themselves. If any of the stations are multihomed and are running on both a real IP/subnet as apposed to an internal IP/Subnet then you could focus on that beyond the firewall (if security is a little tight). Firewalls by default will not pass broadcasts so any type of netbios hack is out of the question (assuming this is windows). I would personnaly see if SNMP was enabled and if the community strings have public/private name schemes. I could then gather information based on the MIB. As far as hacking the router? Well....linksys routers that have html interfaces store the router pwd in the html code so I might start from there. If you are using a Linksys router with software version 1.35-1.39 you are potentially victim. Get the updated firmware. That is pretty much the first hole that I can come up with.

Cordially,

Sp1d3r

Spelling isn't my forte!

Ok, ok....before I hear anything I will admit it. I cannot spell worth a damn....it is either the sleep deprivation or the fact I am at work on New Year's Eve. Thanks

Sp1d3r