Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: strengthen firewall weaknesses?

any old pc will do, I have a 120MHz Pentium with 64MB RAM, it's got 2 NICs, the cable modem is attached to the first nic, and the other nic goes into my switch where other pcs are connected. If you want a dmz - a third network card is required and a second switch as well. A second firewall will complicate the issues and require more hardware that, in the end - it it really worth it at home?

Then you got to close down all unnecessary ports, config the hosts.deny, hosts.allow, set up iptables rules, install/config other pieces - eg squid or apache, maybe a socks5 proxy.

This applies to either Linux or Solaris (but note that you need ipfilter for Solaris)

An exploit in unix can actually be more difficult to fix, since some system services may depend on them e.g. port 111 - if you don't know check out www.securityspace.com advisories and www.cert.com as well.

Senior since the 3 dot era

Re: gcc4120b

gcc4120b : I use a similar setup @ home, it works great and is secure enough for home use.

T-sight, all you need to know... It logs what happens, all keystrokes that are entered in any shell or account. at realtime speed to. Playbacks of hack attempts are great for playing back at your next LAN party
    The sky above the port was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel- Neuromancer

For a hardware firewall if you want to spend some $$$ you can get a webramp firewall router with statefull inspection you can have checkpoint installed as a management console to edit the rulesets on the webramp its on sale at www.ebay.com
    the correct cert site is www.cert.org.

EviL ElF
    Ee

Oh yeah remember no firewall is Cracker proof so do not only rely on a firewall for protection the greatest friend a hacker can have hacker meaning us who experiment with systems in all there glory, nuff said , check your logs if you have windows 2000 set the local security to log everything missed log on attempts contrary to popular thoughts most not all password crackers leave behind foot prints, if you can disable trusts in the registry .
    If you have unix install snort it will monitor for attack patterns and download a portscanner attack your own system , one last thing before i stop typing make sur you firewall can check for spoofed packets that is when an attacker uses one of your internal ip addresses to attack you network .

happy new year this is my year

EvIl ElF
    Ee

Again, thank you! I have gone as far as to get a computer from my friend that he didn't want lying around anymore to expirament with. But it looks like I'm begining to put the cart before the horse. I definitly need to learn why all of these programs do what they do and how they tick. Otherwise I may end up in possesion of the artillery but no knowledge it its implementation. I attempted to find an easy online tutorial so that I may learn some programing languages but it looks like I'm going to have to break down and use an elective and just take the class.

By the way while I was looking around I did find an HTML tutorial that uses the hold your hand /at your own pace method of teaching(exactly what I was looking for). I understand that it isnt a language but until now I didn't know anything about it so atleast it's progress. You'll find it at www.htmlbasix.com

Thank you

Well it is begining to appear that I have put the cart before the horse. I am definitly in need of a programing language course. I did however get a computer from a friend to begin expirimenting with. I tried to find a tutorial online that was made for people who have no background in programing. Thus far I have had no luck.I may have to break down and just use an elective and take a class for a semester or two.

While I was snooping around I did manage to find a site that was a step by step how to on HTML. The site even gives you some space to start your own work and gives you lesons to complete and turn in for critique. If interested you can find it at www.htmlbasix.com

Thank you again

I havesome pdf files on c++ and perl as well as ughhhhhh vb
    you can get them off of kazaa so have fun if you have an instant messenger we can possibly trade info i also have a sleu of security ebooks so if you want to trade let me know what you have if you have.

EvIl
    Ee