Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strengthen firewall weaknesses?

Question strengthen firewall weaknesses?

1- can zone alarm be strengthened to prevent some exploits?

2- I have a TC monitor It has informed me that my projector proccess ID has been changed constantly.is that a problem?

3- Is there any other software that can be had besides a firewall to enhance security when a hardware firewall in't an option?

4- can you leave trapps for "visitors"?

please help if you can. thank you

I don't think that ZoneAlarm was intended to be "strengthened" in the manner you desire.

I'm not a windoze person but I have seen these so-called products and I'm not impressed.

Think iptables for Linux .... or packet filtering (ipfilter) for Solaris/HPUX

Trapps? Why would you want to? That's not nice. You could find yourself under DoS as retaliation. Never provoke the unknown, these guys out there are best left to their own devices. But if you must provoke your "visitors", try embedding them in your HTML pages, or use Psionics PortSentry (for Unix!) and be sure to read your logs!!

I will say it again if you can get a hardware based firewall . i agree with silere in the fact that ipchains linux based firewalls can be fortified , as for zone alarm its only as secure as the os its on . as for honey pots there a good way to learn any questions email me.
    Ee

oblio

GAME OVER

I CREATED A BOT TO MSG OUR FRIEND VERUSHKA TO TELL HER TO GET OFF OF IRC AND TO CALL ME ON THE TELEPHONE. I DO NOT GO ON IRC SO I CANNOT CHECK TO SEE IF THE BOT WORKS ALTHOUGH 1 PERSON MSGD IT. I AM SUPPOSING IT IS BANNED FROM THE CHANNEL BECAUSE I MADE IT FLOOD. SHE IS STILL NOT ANSWERING HER PHONE. MY CLEVER PLAN IS A FAILURE.

here goes a dumb A** question

so is it possible to run two firewalls?

if it is would it just be redundant based on the "2 condoms is just as good as one theory?"

as far as traps for hackers, sure, you can do that. They are usually refered to as honeypots. some more info can be found at...

http://www.sans.org/newlook/resource...Q/honeypot.htm

http://www.all.net/dtk/

http://www.net-security.org/text/art...honeypot.shtml

http://project.honeynet.org/papers/honeynet/

http://www.rootprompt.org/article.php3?article=210

good luck,

IchNiSan

Yeah its possible to run 2 firewalls example a friend of mine has black ice and zonealarm running on the same box it is possible in fact the guy who got me interested in the infosec field told me that he had a webramp firewall with checkpoint running as a security server with an open source intrusion detection system , not to say that any system is inpenetrable but this one comes close.

hope that helps

EviL Elf hapy new year

a good security book is active defense by chris bewnton its at www.sybex.com
    Ee

2 firewalls?

- If you are using the first firewall (fw) as a gateway to the DMZ (that you obviously plan to set up ...) and the 2nd fw as another gateway to the internal network - YES!! Your network will be secure. If the first fw is breached then only the hosts in the dmz will be at risk. But the security is only as good as the implementor.

Running two fw on the same machine is nonsense. That is a false sense of security.

I agree with EvIl eLf that no system is impenetrable.

Actually after doing some checking around, the hardware solutions such as SMC Barricade (high reccommended) and the not so great Linksys, these run a version of Linux kernel. So if these use ipchains of iptables - you could set up a solid defense.
    And these solutions are cheap .... but if you really want to learn get a Linux/Solaris box.

You can also use something like Clark Connect software run it on an old PC with two NIC's. It NATs and firewalls and has a couple of other cool features like dynamic DNS (for those of you on DHCP). www.clarkconnect.org

Or for a little fun while staying secure run LABrea@home it tarpits (holds them indefinitely) baddies trying to get to you ( for Winblows users.)

I've held on to as many as 200 connections for over 12 hours and I'm only using around 3k of bandwidth.

so waht your saying is......

so basically get another comp to be a decoy/blocker or im not all that secure?

If it is possible to find exploits in a program shouldn't it be equally possible to correct them? if not then why?

thank you for bearing with my ignorance