Thread: Nmap

Question Nmap

Does nmap have to be run as root??

Can I run nmap from a normal user account, and does it lose functionality if not run as root?
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

You can run nmap from a normal user account, but it does lose functionality if not run as root.

For a normal portscan it'll due with a normal user account but if you want to do a scan with full functionality then I'll recomend you to be login as root. Or create and give a "scan-user" enough rights to do a full scan.

I can't help you with the rights though. But I have used sudo to run nmap as root and it did work for me.

Some basic stuff can be done as `joe user', but all of the nifty stuff requires root privi's.

This is of course a politicaly correct feature found on many Unix security tools.

Doing an 'su' before the scan ought to be good enough.

I suppose it could be hacked on to change permissions levels before compiling, if you wanted to do that.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

OK, thanks. I'll just run it as root then.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net