Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piracy & Hackign Prevention Efforts Should Target Kids, Experts Say

Piracy & Hackign Prevention Efforts Should Target Kids, Experts Say

Piracy & Hackign Prevention Efforts Should Target Kids, Experts Say | News: New York Times

The front line of combating piracy and hacking is no longer in
    colleges but in grade schools. Efforts dealing with illicit digital
    goods such as software or movies must be targeted at youngsters, who
    have ever increasing access to technology. "If you're willing to
    bootleg music, you're willing to bootleg anything," said an educator.

Read More
    Here
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

makes sense to me. it seems that its usually kids that have no problem messing around with other ppls computers. hopefully they can do something to at least make the kids think twice before pressing that button.

I don't totally agree with that, sure young kids do a lot of pirating. Here in Holland last week a huge organization at the university of twente (where HAL 2001 took place ) whas busted.

This is bullshit. What we need is to get to the source of the problem. Typical American thinking, just like their gun-policy: The problem is not the guns, but the kids that fire them. Yeah right!
    ---
    proactive

Proactive, I'm not sure what your trying to say. I think that Kids often are the problem. We learn our values very early and when kids learn that they can steal online and no one tells them its wrong then they do.

We can't go around and take computers (or guns) away from people. Instead we need to teach people the right way to use them in a responsible manner.
    Those who are awake all live in the same world.
    Those who are asleep live in their own worlds. -Heraclitus

All Your Base!

that article didnt mention anything about hackers or hacking.so much for the acurate title. its just big business crying over money they are "losing", money which they may not have even made to begin with. the internet is the one medium where govt and big business has little control over and they cant stand it . they want us to be mindless zombies doin seeing and thinking only what they deem appropriate and now they want us to force kids into the same mindset. whats next, will it be illegal for me to borrow a dvd or game from a friend because they are losing money by me not going out and purchasing my own copy? The article even stated that most who were arrested weren't even selling the pirated material. simply trading or giving it away. that 11.75 billion dollars isnt even a scratch compared to the profits these businesses make off of people every year.

I don't mean to take away anyone's computer. I say what's got to be done is for someone to take care of who is hosting big warez sites, cracking games, selling cracks etc. They are the source of the problem, not the kids.

Of course you should try to learn the kids right from wrong, but like with drugs and alcohole and sex, they tend to do whatever is most fun, not what they know is right. And we're told all the time that stealing is wrong, the music industry is busy doing that at this moment. But perhaps the kids don't think copying music is stealing. In that case, they should be told it is. The schools could take part in that.
    ---
    proactive

Maybe the problem is kids like me can't afford $300+ software but still need to use the tools

I'll be damned if I spend $1000 on Visual Studio Professional just 'cause I need to use Visual C++ and Spy++

Maybe the problem is that the floodgates are open and we realize that the world is changing. In this new information culture property rights are irrelevent... I see, I want, I get, that simple.

Oh, wait, are all those things problems, or do we just realize something they don't?
    The sky above the port was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel- Neuromancer

I honestly couldn't give a rats ass if ppl. copy programs.
    If you are an IT student, you need to use a lot of windows os's and programs but these are simply too expensive and M$ doesn't do a thing about it.

Thumbs up

"If freedom is so precious,perhaps
    it should be rationed."
    attributed to joe stalin
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.