Thread: I.E. On Unix

I.E. On Unix

While downloading I.E. 6 I came across something that, stopped me in my tracks. "Internet Explorer 5 Service Pack 1 (SP1) for UNIX
    " what in the hell, I thought. So I further investigated, and found that it was for HP-UX, and Solaris. Later on that night, I was at Mandrake Linux's, website. Going through the screenshots. And low-and-behold, I found a screen shot with an I.E. Icon in the Toolbar. I suppose they could be running Wine, or VMware. But I was wondering if you can indeed run the Unix version of I.E. on linux? Does anyone know?

Links:
    I.E. on Unix
    Mandrake ScreenShot

oblio
    nothing shocking about it, they have announced that they will be doing it sometime ago.

Keep in mind that MS does not have a problem with Unix, they have a problem with Linux, and the Open Source Free BSD Unix's.

Note that Solaris and HP-UX are relatively proprietary comapared to those mentioned above.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Hmmm. IE on unix or linux. I don't think I would ever do that, not even to my worst enemy.

As for MS not having a problem with unix, yeah that's true, hehe...how many people have Sparc 10000s or HP K/N or L2000's sitting up in their house? Talk about the lights of the city dimming when you crank those up...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Perhaps microsoft has come to realize that true dominance in the software market doesnt mean that everyone must use your OS. The only problem it seems to me is that they would have to give up the source to IE, which they would never do. I could see the headlines now.

Linux Experts Patch 500 Unknown holes in Internet Explorer
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19