Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building Computer Probs HELP!!!

Exclamation Building Computer Probs HELP!!!

i just got my new motherbaord, An EPoX 8KTA3+PRO and I am trying to format my drives using a win 98 start up disk, when i try to do anything after it loads it freezes. Every once in a while it will give me a wile before it freezes (usually when i turn on my comp after being off for a while) Im realitively sure that it isint a cooling issue because i have several fans in my case and a 30 heat sink. Also it is not my folppy, i have tryed it with several different disks with no success...... PLEASE HELP

Hey Triv..is the MB totally jumperless? Some MBs that make that claim have a hidden jumper somewhere. Go thru the MB manual and see if they give you any settings. If every thing is set up right strip the system down so that the only expansion card is the video..then try to format.. If it fails check the bios. Does this MB have onboard video? and are you trying to use a video expansion card? if so disable the onboard video in the bios..If none of this works post some more details about the hardware config.

RTFM

RTFM
    or send the MB back.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Thumbs up

When in doubt, blame the memory.

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Originally posted by rcgreen
    When in doubt, blame the memory.

hear hear I agree, if my steps don't lead to resolution the mem is the next culprit to try.

if you have the win98 cd there...boot from the cd and then instead of installing win, choose command prompt, then try a command line format...maybe that will work. also, is the hard drive new? i need some better details

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    An EPoX 8KTA3+PRO
    I see you have a RAID-enabled board. Is RAID disabled? Is your processor 200 FSB or 266 FSB? Is the setting on the mb set for such? I've got an 8KHA and it's almost all jumperless, minus the one jumper for 133 mhz speed from 100. You might check all of those and see if that helps. Another thing I'd do is make a bootable disk (format a: /s) and then get the latest bios on that disk, updating your mb.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

HELP STILL!!!

I tryed interchanging the memory with a stick that i know works, and still the same thing. Also i tryed installing Win 2000 and it froze also. And i have no devices pluged into my raid channels so it is not possable that it has anything to do with that.

Red face HELP MORE INFO

ANd i checked all the jumpers, all in proper order, i just got the MB but everything else has been used before. I tryed to unplug everything and see if i could boot to bios but i couldent....Damn it looks like a need a new board (going on 6th) why cant the computer industry just make products that work. Im still looking for advice...so please W/B Thanks for helping :-)

Talking Don't try this at home

Well, I gotta give you credit for building your own computer. I wouldn't know where to start but these tutorials from the BSRF should help with your hardware and building oyur own PC.
    Interesting Things You Didn't Know About Your Computer's Hardware

How to build your own PC
    Memory upgradeing guide
    Hard drive installation
    CD ROM installation
    Tutorial on general PC Hardware

Hope this helps,
    Remote_Access_