Thread: Now this is weird

Hi mom!

Question Now this is weird

I wonder if anyone recognises this...

A while back, I went to one of my aunts to re-install her computer, but before I started, I noticed something odd: on the desktop, in the top-left corner, a small, white triangle (filling the corner) was visible. It wasn't clickable - I could not find any functionallity whatsoever. After I checked if it could be the desktop-wallpaper (which it wasn't) I descided formatting would delete it anyways, so I went on and reinstalled the computer completely. Sure enough, it was gone afterwards.

Today, I'm wondering. What could that little triangle have been? Installed on the computer was Win98 (either SE or the original, I don't remember) with a standard green-blue desktop. The triangle wasn't very big, about 5 pixels in width on a 1024x768 desktop. No-one had noticed it before, but there's no telling how long it had been there.

Anyone, any ideas?

KAZAA

Was your aunt using Kazaa?

I notised a small RECTANGLE (not triangle) in the left top box...
    it was about 5x8 pixels the top 4 were grey the bottom 4 were white...
    they came from the spyware in kazaa, I found out after uninstalling kazaa it was gone..

perhaps it was something like that...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

the truth is out there........

the proof of the bermuda triangle it does exist.............
    hip hop rules

Maybe it was something like that stupid praetorian symbol from The Net ... God that movie was stooopid...

/me is still tortured from his High School days, where the Comp Sci teachers thought it was a good movie, and made them watch it over and over again....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Hi mom!
    Hehe, that was exactly what I was thinking about Matty :) But I just want to know how it got there - it didn't seem to be the background, but I couldn't click it either...

too bad you formated

And didn't check for running processes first..

See if something odd poped up..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

A triangle huh, it may have been a trojan, or maybe one of those spyware things as mentioned before.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

I don't know about a trojan... I mean, that gives a sign that there is something on the system, when it is desired that a trojan remain invisible to the user...

A good chance is that it was just some legit program installed, that was using a nifty registry trick that overlaid the image on the background.. I know that there is one that can overlay info about the current user over the background......
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"