Thread: Iexplorer runonce page

Angry Iexplorer runonce page

Alright, I know that it shouldn't be allow to talk about IE on a security forum, but I need it at my work for dumb users.

Anyways, what the hell is that RUNONCE page, that asks you to put the country and language??. Everytime I install a new security patch or any other damn thing for stuff M$ wrote wrong, I got the damn page. And it isn't fun if you get it on 100 computers.

Any ideas???
    Todo lo que no me mata me hace mas fuerte...

Re: Iexplorer runonce page

You must ask a Bill for your answer, but tell your people to work, not to visit a malicious hackers site, and inform yourself and visit some fresh updated security portals like www.xatrix.org
    Good luck !!!

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I've found that every time IE is updated, that runonce page is set as the homepage for the first time, of which then it sets the home to www.msn.com. To bypass this, and yes it's tedious, just go to Tools -> Options -> Use blank for the home page. That's all I can suggest to do because it WILL reset on an update.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Senior since the 3 dot era

Re: Vorlin

Yep, just tried it and this is true.
    Whatever you tweak after an update it's back.

You can also choose your country from the option and choose 'leave my options' and then it asks to set msn as homepage, answer no.

This may not work as its off the top of my *slightly* demented brain, but you could give it a try..

Find a simple Javascript which sets the homepage..
    create a html document with this in it, pointing to the page you want.
    then create a batch file with the following in it

start iexplore.exe <html doc>

put them both on a floppy or network share....

then when you upgrade, just run the batch file, and it will open a new IE window to that html doc and set the homepage for you..
    I think you will have to click Yes, but thats it....

Hope that helps in some way or the other....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

with NT & Win2k, put an entry into the host file

x:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\host

so that www.msn.com resolves to 127.0.0.1 (or wherever you want the home page 2 point)

On a larger network you could set up an internal DNS server to do the same and then use either transparent proxys to pick it up or use DHCP to configure the networked machines.

It's a kludgy workaround but it should work.

J.

This used to bore me to tears, I now use a regnote call from the logon script to set the home page where it is required

regedit /s \\{machine name}\NETLOGON\settings.reg

This doesnt win you any awards with the users though, they sulk

This can be put in the start run folder to set on startup for astand alone machine

Paul

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his!

The contents of the regnote should be

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]

"Start Page"="http://www.whateveryoufancy.com"

Paul