Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm gonna cry. I'm a victim!

Unhappy I'm gonna cry. I'm a victim!

Well, I spent weeks setting up my linux pc, I though it was pretty secure. I got online had someone nmap me. I had alot of services running, but the person that nmap'd me said it was ok. I went home from work at lunch and connected it to the internet. Then I went back to work and connected to it using putty.exe (I am running sshd).
    All of the sudden it disconnected me. I was on a windows nt box at the time so I tried telnet on the ssh port. I am going to include the screenshot of what the hacker did. I am very frustrated. My pc is online right now and I can't do anything about it. So when I get home if it's still connected I am going to disconnect it and see what happened. Hopefully I will learn from it. I have never had a windows box hacked, why does within the first 3 hours of it being online it get hacked? Do I not know enought to secure it sufficiently.

This sucks..
    Jason-mis

I feel ya man.....see what M$ has us in bondage too? I have decided to try linux on my pc (linux is not exactlly secure I've heard) and go the "lindows" route when it is finished.

I like Linux I really do, but as of when I get home it is permanently offline. I was going to set it up as a proxy server. I see that that is a bad Idea. I know much much more about windows than Linux.
    No I am not copping out, I am frustrated as AntiHaxor relates. I am going to keep on reading and try to learn from my mistake. I have the "Knowing your Enemy in the Black Hat Community" they says, hacks are going to happen, just learn as much as you can from them!
    If anyone knows how the hacker changed the login of sshd please tell me. I want to learn.

Thanks
    -Jason

P.S. Wish I knew of some DDoS way to knock my linux pc offline!

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I would gather that someone you know did that. It's almost unheard of (at least from what I've seen) for a brand new linux box with nothing on it get hacked within hours of startup. I mean, you don't have anything worth stealing, your box isn't running anything important that makes money, etc etc...

My guess would be that your "friend" who knew your setup went and downloaded exploits for your distro and rooted it. If that's true, kick his/her ass.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

I can think of one person.

The_JinX

he nmapped me (by my consent) to see how secure I was, I have nmapped myself while offline, when he mapped me ftp, sunrpc,chargen, etc came up. I disconnected this morning. At lunch I reconnected, so I had a diff IP. Could he have put a root kit on me within 5 mins? The_JinX chats in the chatroom. If he's there now I wish I was there to ask questions.
    In the image I have linked the haxor has my name in there, he knows it by irc or my e-mail setup. k-mail has my name in it. And as you can see my logon is jason-mis.

Any and all Help Appreciated!
    -Jason

That's why I went the OpenBSD way instead of linux.. I'm still learning, and OpenBSD is MUCH more secure out-of-the-box...

Ammo

OpenBSD, FreeBSD, whats the diff? the reason I go w/ linux is because I got a copy for free. I have been learning alot in linux. Oh well, decisons decisions..

-Jason

Originally posted by jason-mis

The_JinX

he nmapped me (by my consent) to see how secure I was, I have nmapped myself while offline, when he mapped me ftp, sunrpc,chargen, etc came up. I disconnected this morning. At lunch I reconnected, so I had a diff IP. Could he have put a root kit on me within 5 mins? The_JinX chats in the chatroom. If he's there now I wish I was there to ask questions.
    In the image I have linked the haxor has my name in there, he knows it by irc or my e-mail setup. k-mail has my name in it. And as you can see my logon is jason-mis.

Any and all Help Appreciated!
    -Jason
    he's in the chat room alright jason .....just click on the link at the top of the page and come on in...I'm there too

it wasn't me

First of all.. I'd like to tell evryone...

It Wasn't me...
    I have just nmapped him (with his permission) and sent the readout text to him...

I haven't hacked anyone...

I am pro distribution of knowlige and data..

So Why should I shut anyone down...

I hope this clarifies that i am no mallicious hacker..
    I'm just a security related person..

And the nick is about crashing software on a XP computer not about crashing an XP server...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Originally posted by jason-mis

The_JinX

Jason, I highly doubt the_JinX would have tried to root you. I haven't spoken to him too much, but he seems like a decent person. If you're at a college or university, it's far more likely one of your classmates did it, IMO.

You should still lock down those services you don't need to run.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?