Last week I read the thread on 'linux unstable' and recounted that mine was when my video card driver was incorrect.

BUT.....................

I have just messed up 3 Linux installations, and finally figured out why !!

I would like the senior members here at AO to try this and confirm my suspicions.

1. Single computer with changeable IDE hard drives.
2. Run Windows 98se for an hour or so
3. Replace hard drive and load Linux (mine are Red Hat 6.2 ,7.2 and Mandrake 8.2) I swap in 10 seconds with cages.

During installation of Linux on this 'warmed up' computer video card detection was impaired. My computer rebooted randomly during installation. Not all software was loaded, RPM failed to load any software after installation was complete.

The reverse also happened. When I put my Win 98se hard drive back into the 'warmed up' computer....it would reboot randomly, and freeze during Anti Virus loading.

I have done this over and over to confirm my suspicions and finally got a Linux to load 'cleanly' only after letting the computer cool down for 1/2 hour.

Originally I assumed it was my video card causing problems, and replaced it. Same problem.

I am assuming the memory (video, SDRAM) somewhere is holding information (virtually) blocking correct detection of video and possibly corrupting installation.

I would be interested if anyone else has had the same experiences.