Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD or pentium4

AMD or pentium4

I hear p4 has more Hz but AMD gets more work done/clock cycle ..
    Any views on what to get p4 or an good AMD processor??

I heard the same thing - Athlon chips perform better apparently but I ended up with a P4 - I'm told they are more reliable (but more expensive!). If you do a bit of shopping around and bounce some companies off each other you can get a P4 for the same price as an Athlon anyway (As I did)
    never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large numbers

well IMHO i think that what youre getting either athlon or P4 are bound to have similarities, quite often most of the time youre paying for the name (ie the brand name) of a product, i think the amd would be the better buy myself but thats just what i think and what ive heard from other people / reviews etc

The P4 all the way Babby!

the new intel chips get their asses kicked by AMD chips - actually AMD doesnt identify their chips by clock speed anymore, its just a model number. an athlon XP 1600+ will outperform a 1.9 GMZ p4...check it out at tom's hardware

While it does seem to hold that the AMD can do more operations per clock cycle, the P4 is vastly superior in the realm of raw survivability - especially when it comes to temperature and surviving a high running temperature. If, for example, your CPU fan burns out, the P4 will chug along, while the AMD will usually crap itself. There was a review out on tomshardware.com (from a /. story a while back) which included a movie of the AMD and P4 both hooked up and playing Quake III ... and then they killed the CPU fans to both. The P4 kept going. The AMD was really unhappy. To the point of not working.

So - I really think it's a matter, at this point, of personal preference and application. What *I* tend to do is take a look at my needs - if I need to do a lot of math-intensive operations, I think that the P4 is better for this - though this may well just be a carried-over sentiment from the early 90s.

Of course, this is all kind of moot - I personally was really sad to see the PPro's go away.

amd athlon xp is better than p4 ... bar none.... no argurment here check any benchmarks...
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

oblio
    Why are AMD processors so much cheaper than Intel processors? Is it because AMD has the ressources to mass produce their processors in larger quantities than Intel? Is it because all the large PC manufactures and big business are purchasing more AMD chips than Intel? Is it because AMD has creates a revolutionary new technique of manufacturing processors? You don't expect that a 30cent fruit punch from the dollar store will be made from the "best stuff on earth" so you get snapple. Why would you expect anything more from AMD. AMD didn't wake up one day and said lets market our processors significantly cheaper than Intel's. They can afford to sell at a much lower cost because they make them at a lower cost, why? Because of the parts they use.

Banned
    i have an AMD Athlon right now and i was about to try and get a P4, but i think i'll keep my Athlon. thanx

The P4 kept going. The AMD was really unhappy. To the point of not working.
    yeah...the AMD w/palimino core went up to 370 degrees celsius and fried the mobo too

if I need to do a lot of math-intensive operations, I think that the P4 is better for this - though this may well just be a carried-over sentiment from the early 90s.

AMD solved the floating point processing problems when they shipped the athlons. if you want to compare clock speeds - AMD kills intel. i think a 1600 MHZ XP is equiv to a p4 1.8 or 1.9...p4s arent all that and a bag of chips guys