Thread: need help fast please

need help fast please

ok here is problem have a friend i met on chat line we have talked for several months. got a virus from him yesterday got rid of virus but read up on it a little it was troj-boserver and what little i could find on it that was really on one sentence said they needed my isp address. anyway today he ask for isp. can anyone tell me anything about this virus and if this person was really trying to get personal info on me. thought he was a good friend and dont want to ruin friendship if he has done nothing wrong he said the viruse was sent from his work. anyway i know this is not a love line and this is not a love line question do not get me wrong we are only friends but would hate to lose him as friend if i am wrong but at the same time if i am right i need to get rid of him
    any help would be appricaiated. thanks

Senior since the 3 dot era
    The 'virus' you are talking about is a trojan

Bo-server is some little prog that makes it possible for some1 with the Bo-client to access your computer files. This trojan gives an intruder acess to your computer through an open port it creates.

An old but malicious trojan, get rid of the trojan and change your pwds!

btw: He needs your IP to make a connection to you, so if he knows your ISP he can scan a range of IP adressess (on the open port for BO) to get in.
    So never give your IP to ppl you don't know / trust.

But if you where in a chatbox he can easily know your IP and ISP with the /WHOIS or /DNS commands, unless you were using the /mod yournickname +x command.

Anyway, Everytime you make a direct connection with some1, it's possible to get the IP (eg if you send a file to some1), on WIN boxes for instance you can use netstat -a and check the results for the IP.

Hey there,

I'd say it was probably intentionnal, however it doesn't mean your friend necessairly had malicious intent, it could have been just to play a practical joke on you as this trojan would have allowed him to take control of your desktop, move the mouse around, open/close cd-rom tray and other not-always-so-funny stuff... I've seen this happen between some of my friends before...

Nevertheless, I would for sure be very wary of him now (you might want to subtly try to find out his intent before blowing up on him...)

One more thing, as it has been said before, you should really get a personal firewall (zonealarm, tiny pf, black ice... check out other posts here) if you don't already have one...

Ammo

Some friend!

back orafice leaves you open to anyone with a port scanner and there are alot-o-lammers out there just looking for bo already installed. even if the sender password protected it, there are password crackers made for bo.

loose the troj. then loose the friend.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Sound like a whole lotta fun stuff going on there.....

Back orifice is kinda like pcanywhere... sounds like you either have a joker. Definately kill the trojan. And for kicks... confront your attacker.... (this is always fun) dont accept any files from him, watch out for odd emails and all that happy jazz. Patch everything you got "just cuz" and definately pick up a firewall product in the future.

~THEJRC~
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

trish202, it looks like you have been brought to the security side of computing in a rather harsh way. Like a good many of us. I would suggest that, you confront this friend of yours (which it sounds like you already have) and find out his side of the story. Then if his story seems to satisfy you, and you feel as though you can continue your friendship. Go ahead. Just be wary of things that he sends you in the future. Also, if you ever get anything from him again. I suggest you don't associate with him again. Not sure if you have or even know about the following programs, but you should download, install, and most importantly USE them.
    First off will be a trojan cleaning program:

MooSoft
    This program is one of the very best trojan removing programs out there.
    You will want to get a Ant-Virus program also. I recommend KasperSky
    But of course there are others such as Norton and Mcaffee.
    And lastly you need to get a firewall, so that you can control what is going in and out of your PC.
    Other's have stated which programs are out there. So i'll bypass listing them.
    For more information I found a few sites that talk about BO, BO2k and some other popular trojans.
    Bo/Bo2k
    BO
    Info about BO by Symantec
    FAQ's on Virii/Trojans
    if you want more information on this subject (or any for that matter) Google
    is a terrific search engine.

And trish202, welcome to the wonderful world of computer security.

maybe it is just a trojan whom targetting people who is inlove? btw, are you in love?!
    \"The more you ignore me... the closer i get!\"

trish, i missed somthing the first reading...he said it came from work. implying that it spread like a virus. back orafice was not designed to spread like a virus, it has to be deliberatly placed.
    sorry!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”