Thread: Mac Firewall

Exclamation Mac Firewall

To all my fellow Mac Users:
    I just got a brand new Powerbook, and I am looking for some good firewall software. I would like something that works with both OS 9.2 and X, but what ever anyone can recommend. Thanks!
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

Well for the OSX you can/should be able to use IPTables or IPChains given that its a unix-based OS..

For the regular Mac OS check out this link:

http://www.firewallguide.com/macintosh.htm

I've heard lots of good things about NetBarrier (http://www.intego.com/home.asp)

Hope this helps.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Smile

Thanks
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

Well, you got your choices.

For Mac OS 9.2.whatever, you have a choice between Intego's NetBarrier and OpenDoor's DoorStop, which is the core of Norton's Personal Firewall.

Apparently, if you buy one of these programs they give you a version for both Classic and X. I have an older version of NetBarrier, and though it isn't bad, it isn't as configurable as I need it to be, but then I don't have the newest version.

The thing about OS X is that it has a firewall built into it (ipfw). The problem is configuring that firewall. If you aren't up to snuff with your Unix, doing it by hand is out of the question, BUT there are some programs out there that have a handy little GUI so that you can easily get your Firewall firewalling. BrickHouse and FireWalk X. BrickHouse is shareware ($25 USD to register), I have used it, and it is fairly easy to understand, and can be incredibly configurable. FireWalk X is also shareware and it is $12 USD, I vaguely remember using a Beta or early version of it, but I don't remember much. Both you can get and "test" before deciding to pay for it. But, these won't work in OS 9. And, they don't have a lot of the features that NetBarrier/DoorStop/Norton have.

In OS 9, there really isn't a need to use a Firewall, unless you are paranoid (like me), in OS X a firewall is NECESSARY. If you are poor (like me), then BrickHouse or FireWalk Xwill probably meet your needs, cheap, and powerfull, without a lot of crap. But, if you have money, you probably want to look into the Commercial firewalls, they probably have demos, test 'em out before you decide. Those have the benifit that you can get them packaged with Virus scanners (always a good thing).

Don't forget about Google, it might turn up some interesting results when you type one of those progs in.

Later,
    Dhej

DOH, mittens, you beat me.

dhej

I hate to sound stupid....but why would you not need a firewall on Mac Classic?

PS Thanks for the info.
    - Jimmy Mac

doh, I mis-read the question.

the Classic environment gets its networking through OS X, by some means that is beyond my understanding, but when you rn the Classic-compatibility layer, you are running an emulator for Mac OS 9.x (where x >= 2).

The emulator is a program running in OS X, so any programs you run in classic, are programs running in a program that is running in OS X.

Or, if AOL IM for OS 9 wants to talk to "the net":

AIM--> Classic --> OS X --> "the net"

A firewall inside classic you be redundant

AIM --> Classic --> Classic Firewall --> OS X --> OS X's Firewall --> "the net"

but, I could be wrong, for the inards of OS X and how it interfaces with Classic is fuzzy to me.

dhej

"..the inards of OS X and how it interfaces with Classic is fuzzy to me.."

Very interesting point. If they're using a virtual interface, (as suggested by some Connectix engineer) then there may a problem in the fact that one may be able to bypass the firewall in OS X entirely but targeting the relevant sockets directly. (I hate saying this stuff, if only because if this idea is true then someone out there has already done it.)

Please feel free to disagree or expand on my just as hazy notion of this.

Cool Mac Firewall

Well if 9.2.x is emulating thru OS X, then I wonder how a PC emulator would get to the internt....

PC - OS 9.x - OS X?

That seems very complicated....although OS X networking is amazing, and I am glad that they use this complicated route.
    - Jimmy Mac