Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How physically secure is your network?

Question How physically secure is your network?

Ok, so in light of a recent event that happened to some unnamed individual nearby, (cant get any more cheezy than that) I'm wondering how many others have never considered the actual physical threat's that are out there.

Last week I received a phone call, and a contract to rebuild a network that was well... "hacked". When I arrived to scope things out and give them a quote... I noticed that they were indeed hacked!! Someone had taken a hammer and used it to vent whatever frustration he had on two poor little defenseless servers. Needless to say this type of attack will probably end up costing the company more than any other threat that they "had" been prepared for. When I noticed that the tape library had, indeed been smashed as well, I asked if they had offsite backups... (of course not... doh). The network servers were in a locked room, with a dropped ceiling on both sides of the door.... all the attacker had to do was merely lift a ceiling tile, climb over the wall... and do his dirtywork.

Either way, just a story to tell.... I know that from experience, locking down a server room is not easy! There is much to consider, and in most cases management types dont see it as necessary..... untill it's too late. I have been lucky enough to have the resources to lock down most of my clients network centers, and will always keep offsite backups in rotation. You never know how hot the water is untill you're in it!

Any thoughts, views, experiences??

Talking

Hey

We actually had to do a school project on this type of thing. The best thing to use seemed to be the use of an infa-red system.

If that doesnt work Bullet-proof casing

Cool Secure

Get a 1200 pound safe, drill some holes in the back for the coords and keyboard etc. then put it in a room with the only venelation being the window on a 15th story window with no ledge. Then hire a compitent couple of guards and put some cameras in the room.

Don't trust anybody

don't forget to put some fans and a water cooler its not a bad idea for the safe heheheh
    Nobody Born The Best
    But Some Born To Be The Bests...

Server Security

I personally sleep 20 ft away from my servers
    and a couple of NICE Doberman's work real well!!

And a Shot Gun 3 ft away!!!

MY ISP is even more paranoid!!!
    He has an Attack CAT!!!
    And other security!!!
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

Cool

hehe well for MY network.. its practically secure...

i live in the top floor of a 50 floor building (which is also called as a Pent House) so hehe thats one factor..

next is my computer room is preety much secure..

to get inside you need an ID card (which i provide) and swipe it to a device next to the door.. then the sliding door would open..

second the glass door is damn thick for someone to hammer through..

third. i do have a motion detector inside the room... and i turn it on everytime i get out of the room. and if i go back inside... MY card gives me a 30 second window to punch in the 14 digit code to turn the motion detector off..

and if someone does break in and my motion detector picks it up.. an alarm in the reception hall will go off and u will have security hopping around the bulding like jack rabbits.

fourth.. i do have 2 survalance cameras in my computer room...(which i dont own.. but the hotel management does)

and the windows are also 2 inch thick.. not to mention they are fiber glass..

so i guess now u guys know why i picked this hotel

and ermm what do i hafta hide? LOTS.. hehe and dont ask what they are..

Originally posted by s0nIc
    and if someone does break in and my motion detector picks it up.. an alarm in the reception hall will go off and u will have security hopping around the bulding like jack rabbits.
    Well thats a shame isn't it.... All that time the silly security guards are spending bouncing around like rabbits could be much betterly put to trying to catch the person getting into your computer room...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Re: Secure

Originally posted by zepherin
    Get a 1200 pound safe, drill some holes in the back for the coords and keyboard etc. then put it in a room with the only venelation being the window on a 15th story window with no ledge. Then hire a compitent couple of guards and put some cameras in the room.

Don't trust anybody
    Then you take a hose, stick it through the wire holes... Turn on the water...

Or just cut the wires going to the peripherals, and then stick them inside a nice high-voltage socket...

Or tip the safe out of the window.

Or open the safe.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Talking Laptop Security

How physically secure is your laptop?.. Well, heh, it's not. You can sneeze and it may disappear. Even just a turn of your head you can lose 1000s of dollars. I'd only purchas a laptop after I've bought proper physical security. Personaly I'd use a set of 6 in. hand cufs with a pad lock or combination lock..
    Laptop users, beware!

Remote_Access_

Cool

Matty u arse wipe... lmao..