Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows boot.ini ???

windows boot.ini ???

I am using windows2ooo but am installing linux manrdake on a different harddisk. So I need to edit boot.ini for dual boot.
    I cant find the stupid file I don't have boot.ini..
    Is this not strange?
    If its not where should linux boot sector information file then be noted so windows knows there are 2 os ,Windows is my primary boot ??

Re: Boot.ini

Your boot.ini should be located in your C:/ .

Try searching for it again, maybe you'll find it this time.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

On the hardisk where windows is intalled I have 2 partitions
    Boot.ini is on neither, I search offcourse viewing hidden files but it still cant find it ??

Hey arv,

With Windows 2000, there are protected operating system files as well as hidden files & folders.. these are hidden by default, and yes, boot.ini is one of them...

You can turn off hiding of protected OS files in the same place you turn off hiding of hidden files & folders... should be like 3 entries down....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

i guess your oot.ini file is hidden somewhere c:\windows\system. that's what my friend babling about that all complicated files in windows 2000 are located in their system files. i don't know if this is true, but it will not hurt you from trying on?!

and if it is true. let me know and i have to tweak all my windows config. :P
    \"The more you ignore me... the closer i get!\"

like Matty_Cross said it's just a hidden file. I believe it also has the +s attribute (system) and perhaps even +a (archive) but I haven't really paid much attention to it lately.

if you still can't see it from Explorer, then drop out to a command prompt and type in

dir boot.ini /ah /s

that will search the entire hard drive partition for a hidden file called boot.ini

it's there, just a little more difficult to find in 2k.

el
    or should it be ed?

ready for this one.... it is in fact in c:\

you need to do more than just the hidden file deal though...

tools > folder options > view tab

make sure and uncheck both "hide file extensions for known file types" and "hide protected operating system files"

tell it mmmkay and you should be good to go

~THEJRC~
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

Another way to find it is with the old dos attrib command, eg attrib boot.ini /s (at command prompt).
    Also if you have trouble editing it,you can use attrib boot.ini -a-h
    as somtimes it is easier to change file attributes through dos for the purposes of W2K.
    -r takes off read only
    -a takes off archive
    -s removes the system attribute
    -h removes hidden

+r adds read only,etc

attrib is located in c:\winnt\system32 which should already have a path to it. If for some strange reason not, then Path=c:\winnt\system32 shall do it.

while in dos after attrib boot.ini -a -h may as well use edit boot.ini to edit it, then attrib boot.ini +a +h to return boot.ini to original attribute settings...

Sorry, another late thought, don't think boot.ini needs requires -a attribute as it is only (from memory) has system and hidden attribs, so attrib boot.ini -s -his what I should have said.
    Also might not be present if you are not currently dual booting though of this I am really not sure, I dont think it would be.

hmm, pretty sure, but possibly wrong.