Thread: Next big thing?? Universal Plug and Play..

Next big thing?? Universal Plug and Play..

Okay, well there are already patches and hotfixes for microsnarfs new universal plug and play technology... Never cared much for XP or ME myself but after reading up on the technology.... it could prove useful and take off in the future.

So the idea is more along a home automation tilt (so M$ is a little slow, *nix gurus have been playing with home auto. for quite a while now... but simpler technology means it might hit everybody's home soon...) This may prove to be a good thing for those of us who are up on the tech early on. Praise the end user as they are the ones who give us job security I always say. And for you developers and hardware engineers.... jump in now, theres nothing on the market yet.

For the rest of us who like to play, upnp is designed to use a modified IP protocol stack, and has the capability to use a wide range of mediums over its physical layer (from what I've gathered so far USB, Firewire, Ethernet, and infrared are the most prominent). Naturally, it being geared toward the end user the core controls will be html or xml based. Look into it...

universal plug and play forum site

Figured some of you might find it interesting!

~THEJRC~
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Univerial Plug and Play is a good idea in my opinion, but the security problems with it are already well evident, and I think the technology was released to soon. Just my thoughts...
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

very true.... early release seems to the market niche that M$ has monopolized doesnt it... :::laffin::: I've always beleived any system needs time and testing to grow up...

all the same, once it hits the end user theres nothing we can do but hope patches come out in good time... It is hard to imagine downloading the latest security update for my coffee pot though...

~THEJRC~
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

Smile

Hey
    Sounds good having everything in your house linked up like

Kitchen Device Scenario

Listen to a collection of digital streamed music while preparing a meal, run the dishwasher when electricity prices are lowest, and track grocery needs on the refrigerator control panel then download the list to a wireless PDA.
    However it sounds very complicated and what about security issues?
    If someone were to break into your computer and everything or lots of things in your house are connected to it you would be in a lot of troube

Anyways the idea of it sounds good espically for lazy people like myself

Post 5000

It does sound like a good idea, although it is certainly flawed at the moment...so, until I need to make use of UP&P in a (hopefully) more secure form, port 5000 will remain closed.

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    The concept is ok, but I don't see the relavence of having your grocery list kept track of on a refridgerator and then downloaded to a PDA. Or having to update your coffee pot. This more or less sounds like a yuppy thing and I can't see every household having it. Computers, yes...automated self-updating utilities, no...what about security? Account information surely would be held to a household and if someone broke into your "secure" account through something hilarious like a toaster, then that's all she wrote for you. Not to mention what happens when your central computer that handles all of this breaks down? Or the hub that you have to plug every device into goes to pot? 90% of the computerized population (owning a PC at home) barely know what a command prompt is or anything past IE/Outlook much less configuring the computer for a centralized post for UPNP devices much less anything else that requires a setup. As for the "just plug in and go" method, that won't work either because right now (and this may change later), usb isn't configured for the most part, whether OS side or mb side. Try explaining how to get usb to work with someone when you're not the one doing it...you'll be there a while.

Good idea...no relavence. You're not about to put stores like Publix, Wal-Mart, Safeway, and others out of business with this kind of concept.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Universal plug and play..

I bett in the future we will have posts on antionline concerning.. Securing your fridge...
    And Threads about hackers flooding someones home..

I wouldn't automate my home using M$ even if I was the last analoge home in the whole town...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

*snicker*

A bit off topic but it reminded me of the pressconference M$ had where they showed plug-n-play and Gates got a blue screen on stage. Anyone knows where I can find a video clip of it?!
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile