Thread: OpenSource a new "Microsoft"

Post OpenSource a new "Microsoft"

Hi

Ill be honest with you this has been on my mind now for a few weeks, in the uk the goverment has just signed a huge deal to implement open source into all new goverment buidlings, our friends at Sun bought at the right time we all know that, there is a growing call for opensource processors, bluetooth and USB interfaces, i think over the next 5 years we will see a huge shift in the corp sector to OpenSource systems, anyway enough background we all know this, Im very much of the captialist way of thinking and cant help but think that were ever there is a free or cheaper alternative for many there is huge profit for a few !! i just posted this to pick a few brains see what you all are thinking. even (dare i say these words on this forum) bill gates himself said "want you get and what you pay for will be the biggest factor of the software industry over the next few years, open source has leaped from the underworld" WSJ NOV2001

Hi mom!
    Hehe, I laughed my ass off when I heard Microsoft declared OpenSource being "Unamerican." Anyway, OpenSource is beautiful - but it will be hard to implement it in the 'big world.' When you buy something from a commercial producent, you can held someone responsible for any faults you encounter and you know where to go if something isn't working properly. For OpenSource, this is much harder - Where do you go if after installing some OpenSource, your network gets corrupted? Where do you go if you want help on a certain, undocumented topic?

"Unamerican"

I liked that too !! Maybe but i cant help thinking that money talks, might shake up the network admin role amung others we have got thousands of unemployed whizz kids !! and a world crying out for bespoke software development, Opensource on a plate surely ?

Don't get me wrong, opensource is a great concept... But I fail to see how it can really make it in terms of commercial development in use, given human nature/greed/stuff-for-free-mania.

I mean, look at all the filesharing utilties and such... Freeloaders will take a lot.

In other words, I think it might be a tad bit difficult for a significant number of people to work full-time on a truly open-source project and still make a living, with all the potential quasi-piracy.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

I gotta agree on the marketability of open source development... there isnt really much there....

I suppose the big market with open source (and you will see this with all forms of linux and BSD already) is the support and customization sector. The only profitability a company can gain from an open source project such as Linux is that of end to end value add. I cant make any money pushing the software... however the support, customization, and the addition of a hardware and documentation package creates a marketable product.

This is why you can download SuSe free... but people still purchase the software, SuSe offers a support period for install (perhaps the best value add) the software is already on a useable medium (I dont have to burn a bunch of iso's) and you get a fancy book (your documentation addition). VAlinux built their company with the same premise, lets build machines, load open source software, and support it.

Open source never was marketable on a cash and carry basis, however it does reduce overhead for the more marketable "value add" type services. This is what has made it popular. (popular and good are two different things mind you) what makes open source good is the amount of development behind it, its fast to grow and adapt to new structures in technology, patches are more readily available due to the amount of developers. And of course (not that I'm a developer... but it's what I've noticed) open source developers love coding, and take a lot of pride in creating "Tighter" code... so open source becomes more efficient.

Sun microsystems couldnt be more set for the open source revolution, with their proprietary hardware, and their long time standing as "THE" hardcore server manufacturer, as well as the advent of the ultrasparc III proc's.... well they still stand to market the machines. Now their machines are just more marketable due to the opening of the software to other developers... more apps are available, more customization, and more compatibility with other binaries as the open source hobbyists begin to tear and tweak at the floorboards of solaris......

Microsoft will stand to lose quite a bit by going open source, as their product is software, there is no real value-add, and I dont suppose there will ever be one as they are quite good at what they do.

just my opinion....

~THEJRC~
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

no doubt?! microsoft will never do 'opensource'. much to think that bill gates does'nt know what opensource means.
    \"The more you ignore me... the closer i get!\"

Thanks THEJRC interesting post thanks

I totally agree with you, but i think the general level of computer knowledge and education levels will increase we are awash with IT staff but high level knowledge is still in demand OpenSource will push industries into more investment in the implementation and maintence of this software

p-brane

I suppose your right there...

We may be awash with IT staff, however I notice (through absolute field work and experience myself no less) that only a small percentage of this staff actually knows whats going on.

Most the people I come across in any technical field that are good at what they do... do it out of a passion. The last few years IT schools cropped up all over the place with a "you can make this much" marketing stint. All of a sudden a large amount of career changers and dollar chasers popped into an industry that used to leave little room for those without the ability to think fast, provide solutions, and answer their own questions.

Now, with the recent fall of the market (but really.... was it so recent??) There are more IT workers than job openings, and those of us who make it a lifes passion are finding out that we are still employed and even more so... still requested at other jobs. I think it will be a while, but what I see happening now is a mutifaceted market rollover involving not only the products and services, but the "weeding out" of the excess staffing.

I used to laugh at my coworkers when they talked about going to school for certifications on things they didnt really know about, care about, or have the passion to look into (even if just to supplement schooling) and I predicted this advent years ago (when everybody and their mother switched away from the MCSE and went for Cisco certs for the $$). I cant say I'm not glad its happening.... I spent the last 7 years with my head buried in my work, books, and running around chasing information even if I didnt understand it or couldnt use it at the time. I also worked 20 hour days... now... everyone wonders why I'm still working for good pay, and have offers on the table at any given time....

Blessed are those who have a passion for what they do I say. And its nice to see open source play such a large role in a long needed industry makeover!!

buth hey... once again... just my opinion (that JRC is damn opinionated aint he....)

~THEJRC~
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

hi

I worked for the Goverment (UK) for 5 years in IT security, at 18 i thought these people were gods that know all im 24 now and i am fearful of the people who press the buttons lame money grabbing creatures with little or no knowledge in seats of power ! i work alone now (my choice) hahaha, My girlfriend unlocks the door for 1 hour a day ahah no im not that bad but like yourself you need a passion for it. I keep saying it but i cant help but think Opensource will move us forward, a few years from now why not have the sales man say "what hardware do you want ? and what OS config do you want ?" rather than this comes with windows ME sir and a free printer !!!