Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burn CD's and $500,000 fine...(Police-ware on your PC)

Burn CD's and $500,000 fine...(Police-ware on your PC)

has anyone on here seen this yet? I haven't seen a thread dedicated to it, so I figured I would start one.

What I'm talking about is this:

The SSSCA.

Don't know what that is?

SSSCA = Security Systems Standards and Certification Act

WHAT IS THE SSSCA?

The SSSCA is a bill, pushed by the entertainment industry, to be proposed in Congress by Senators Fritz Hollings (D-SC) and Ted Stevens (R-Alaska). The acronym stands for "Security Systems Standards and Certification Act".

WHAT WOULD THIS LAW DO?

The law would force all new personal computers and digital home entertainment devices sold in the United States to have government-approved "policeware" built-in.

This policeware would restrict your use of copyrighted material on these devices -- including music files and CD's, video clips, DVD's, e-books, and more.

WHO COULD GO TO JAIL?

You, if you're one of the millions of Americans who uses your computers to burn music CD's, listen to MP3's, share video files, etc. You'd face up to five years in federal prison and a $500,000 fine.

Think you'd be able to get around the law by removing the policeware from your personal computer? Think again -- anyone who defies the government by disabling or tampering with the policeware on their own computer, in the privacy of their own home or business, would also face five years in the slammer.

Since alternative operating systems like Linux and FreeBSD would most likely refuse to incorporate government policeware into their code, users of these open-source systems would also be eligible for hard time.

for more indepth information go here.

Also, if you wish to oppose this then go sign the petition here. There are 39904 signatures alrelady.

I should note that I am not too sure as to how up-to-date this info is. I have seen stuff from September, and back, but it's difficult to find any new stuff. I have not been able to find anything about the death of this bill, so that leads me to believe that it's still around. Take this information with a grain of salt because the majority of this was taken from the web, and we all know what the web is like

el

Exclamation doubtful

I just skimmed over the information but I doubt that this would happen for a couple of reasons. One why would Conressman Rick Boucher(D, VA) send a letter to the RIAA basically charging that copy protection of audio cds violated the home audio recording act and two I seriously doubt that manufacturers would put their public standing in jeopardy by hard coding spyware into their products, you would see US companys loose tons of revenue as people concerned with their privacy seek to acuire products from overseas distributors.

Thanks for the post!! it's good to be informed.

I do feel that something like this is extremely unlikely to happen though. Even if it passes, enforcement on an individual user level will be near impossible and too costly to persue completely. In that case, they would most likely pick at random... their targets (wrong place at wrong time syndrome??)

Then again, if you read closely, and scrutinize the details of this, and most any other copyright protection ordinance, you will notice that the penalties are geared towards distribution. This means that posession is most likely to be "under radar". Those that will be most affected are those who knowingly distribute copyrighted material. This however... could mean that filesharing utilities such as Morpheus will soon be under an even larger amount of pressure as those users caught sharing copyrighted files may be targeted and persecuted.

then again.... maybe not. Copyright laws will continue to change, constantly as media channels, distribution channels, and black market sources adapt. This is something that has happened long before the advent of Mpeg formats, one click shopping, and video games. I will sign the petition against this ordinance.... and will continue to support free information, but I'm not about to let a false fear of "big brother" ruin my day.

and when this gets voted out, they'll try again.... and when something does pass.... the world will adapt, creating the necessity for yet another law...

such is life

~THEJRC~
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Nah I don't think a law like that would get passed, because as stated above by rand0m, it would violate your own right to make your own back-up cds.
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

this is NOT meant as a flame, but I'm sure the people that lived in pre-Nazi Germany thought that the Nazi's couldn't come to power too. Also, I'm sure that most people didn't think Stalin, or someone like him, could come into power.

There are laws passed every DAY that violate your constitutional rights. I remember one Senator said "it doesn't violate your rights until the courts SAY it violates your rights", or something along those lines. It is passivity that will allow something like this to come into being.

el

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    While I don't think it'd happen for quite some time and not even to the degree posted, I just became #39926 to oppose it. I'll support open source and a lot of other things but if someone thinks that they can just put laws out and expect them to be passed that are a blatant attempt to tell me what I can and can't do on my own machines, screw that noise. Especially when you consider the fact that these people probably don't have one iota of knowledge about pcs and what they're capable of doing. Yeah, keep MS a monopoly but go after every user that burns a cd? ROFL
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

yer such a flamer Diablo

No I do agree with you, especially on the passivity part. I am active to protect my rights, you just dont see me out there like some sidewalk preacher. Besides I think theres so much more our government has to worry about than copyright protection...

especially right now.

oh and #399390 < doh... 39930... sorry ~J~ > to sign the petition here!!!

~THEJRC~
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Originally posted by El Diablo
    this is NOT meant as a flame, but I'm sure the people that lived in pre-Nazi Germany thought that the Nazi's couldn't come to power too. Also, I'm sure that most people didn't think Stalin, or someone like him, could come into power.

There are laws passed every DAY that violate your constitutional rights. I remember one Senator said "it doesn't violate your rights until the courts SAY it violates your rights", or something along those lines. It is passivity that will allow something like this to come into being.

el
    El - Good points and thoughts.

But you have to admit that in a democratic republic like America, public opinion rules, becuase we the people elect the officials into office. If an official supports a bill that prevents making copies, he may as well kiss his chances of being re-elected goodbye.

Did you know that 1 call to the White House with an opinion is counted as 1,000 opinions? So if we really want to fight a law like this, we call whoever is supporting it in our government and tell them that we want him/her to 1. withdraw support 2. (if they are undecided currently about the issue) ask them not to support it.

Also, email is counted something like 1 email is 100 peoples opinions. I forget the exact numbers. So emailing the official is also good.

Just my thoughts...
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

So build your PC. Or buy a custom made one from a not so big manufacturer.
    I don't see that being passed but if it is then I say vote all those fat rat bastards out of office. I'm making copies no matter what.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    So build your PC. Or buy a custom made one from a not so big manufacturer.
    I don't see that being passed but if it is then I say vote all those fat rat bastards out of office. I'm making copies no matter what.
    Hell yeah dude that's what I'm screaming. I've always built my pcs no matter what and if they think they're gonna just pass something in like this, it'd be signing their own death warrant effectively for office and such, not to mention the uprising would be huge.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.