Thread: Hacker's Hall of Fame

Lightbulb Hacker's Hall of Fame

I didn't know where else to post this so i put it in the Misc. security discussions.. perhaps it should be in the General Chitchat form but ah well.. Here's a list of the hacker's hall of fame. taken from the fine folks at discovery.

Richard Stallman hacker of the old school, Stallman walked in off the street and got a job at MIT's Artificial Intelligence Lab in 1971

Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson The driving creative force behind Bell Labs' legendary computer science operating group, Ritchie and Thompson created UNIX in 1969.

John Draper Figured out how to make free phone calls using a plastic prize whistle he found in a cereal box.

Mark Abene Inspired thousands of teenagers around the country to "study" the internal workings of our nation's phone system.

Robert Morris This Cornell University graduate student accidentally unleashed an Internet worm in 1988.

Kevin Mitnick The first hacker to have his face immortalized on an FBI "Most Wanted" poster.

URL=http://tlc.discovery.com/convergence/hackers/bio/bio_07.html]Kevin Puolsen[/URL] In 1990 Poulsen took over all telephone lines going into Los Angeles area radio station KIIS-FM to win a call-in contest.

Johan Helsingius Operated the world's most popular anonymous remailer, called penet.fi, until he closed up shop in September 1996.

Vladimir Levin This mathematician allegedly masterminded the Russian hacker gang that tricked Citibank's computers into spitting out $10 million.

Steve Wozniak The co-founder of Apple Computer got his start making devices for phone phreaking.

Tsutomu Shimomura Shimomura outhacked and outsmarted Kevin Mitnick, the nation's most infamous cracker/phreaker, in early 1994.

Linus Torvalds Torvalds was a computer science student at the University of Helsinki when he wrote the operating system Linux in 1991.

[webcarnage]

*cough*Remote_Access_ *cough*

MsMittens

petemcevoy

Simon Templer

..And a few others I'll add latr

Remote_Access_

You forgot Negative - One of the most notorius flamers at AO!

Talking Terr

Oops, I forgot Terr

Remote_Access_

*cough* [WebCarnage] *cough*

Wha?...did I say something?
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Thumbs up

Don't forget me!
    I hacked all the national news
    networks and fooled the world
    into believing that some arab
    flew a jetliner into the
    World Trade Center.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Originally posted by rcgreen
    Don't forget me!
    I hacked all the national news
    networks and fooled the world
    into believing that some arab
    flew a jetliner into the
    World Trade Center.
    Umm.... Does anyone else think this is at the very least in incredibly bad taste?
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Does anyone notice that the founders of Apple and Linux are on there but the founder of MicroShaft is not on there?
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar

people

Why are Kevin Mitnick and Polsen on the list? Why not the guys from MOD and LOD. They were responsibele for the Sun Devil raids (or whatever they were called). Or any other person who has ever had a book written about them or been included in a book. Or what about all the people listed on attrition or any other archive? The people on that list are so varied from engineer to programmer to cracker. What do they define as a hacker?

Talking *sigh

Everyone just add yourself/others as you see needed. I didn't write the list my self. It came from discovery. Ask them why those ppl were or weren't included. Feel free to post a new thread and make a list of AO hacker's hall of fame.. or post a poll to determine who should be in it. Just a suggestion.

Remote_Access_