Thread: EXplorer(Not Responding)

EXplorer(Not Responding)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing the explorer to not respond? It seems that when I'm using active desktop with a wallpaper being displayed my explorer hangs up on me from time to time. I do a ctrl-alt-del andc it tells me that it is not responding. I have to terminate it and then the system says it has become unstable and I have to reboot. Can someone please help me with this problem. I have update the graphics and memory controller driver to no avail and even tried different wallpaper to see if that would help. Still getting the problem.
    Regards,
    Geno

\"Disciples, like diamonds, are developed in a process of time and heavy pressures, and both the disciple and the diamond reflect and magnify the light that comes through them.\"

Neal A. Maxwell

Forgot to mention that it is an HP Pavillion XL753 with Intel Celeron running 668mhz with 64 mb of memoryrunning Windows ME.
    Regards,
    Geno

\"Disciples, like diamonds, are developed in a process of time and heavy pressures, and both the disciple and the diamond reflect and magnify the light that comes through them.\"

Neal A. Maxwell

Ah yes, it's so wonderful when explorer crashes! You gotta love good ol' Billie Gates for making such a wonderfully stable operating system. It used to do that to me a lot when I ran Windows 2000, and it pissed me off. Try disabling active desktop. If explorer still crashes, try running the install in repair mode. If that doesn't work, reinstall. Sorry my response is the obvious kind, but with errors like that, options are limited. Maybe there are others, but with Microsoft, you'd be forever memorizing fixes to all the errors it produces.

Of course, if you don't like my suggestion, you can always resort to plan B, and install a real operating system.

Originally posted by HPgeno
    Forgot to mention that it is an HP Pavillion XL753 with Intel Celeron running 668mhz with 64 mb of memoryrunning Windows ME.

First thing, 64mb is no where near enough RAM to run ME. I know that's how HP send 'em out to the shop but it's still no where near enough. 128mb should be the minimum when running ME.

Secondly, the PC would have come with the "fantastic" HP pavillion Recovery CD's. Seeing as you're getting explorer errors I reccomend that you use these recovery CD's. Just stick in Disk 1 and reboot. It will than give you an option on formatting. You don't wanna do that! Click on "recover data without formatting" and away you go. You shouldn't loose any of your software and the OS will reinstall...

Good Luck...

One last thing....You WILL get overheating problems running the HP Pavillion XL753. The case is like a tomb. I recommend removing the case but make sure little fingers can't access live parts...

Post Hmmm

Well...STFLook got here first. You can try his way (or plan B ) OR....Get a free download of Netscape - but not the latest version. It seems to be quite slow. Opra is another good choice. Here are some links.

http://www.netscape.com

http://www.opra.net
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Re: Hmmm

Originally posted by [WebCarnage]
    Get a free download of Netscape - but not the latest version. It seems to be quite slow. Opra is another good choice. Here are some links.

http://www.netscape.com

http://www.opra.net

We aren't talking about browsers.......

Thumbs down <---DUMASS!

Jesus I feel like a dumbass.

Not INTERNET Explorer. Just that damned shell...Good God I feel like an idiot. My appologies.

...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Post indeed

Originally posted by Conf1rm3d_K1ll
    First thing, 64mb is no where near enough RAM to run ME.
    64 is barely enough to run Win98 on bare bones resources...not counting everything else that runs on that piddling factory installed RAM stick...i suggest a major upgrade...go to 256Mb RAM, if you can, HPgeno. Any questions about installing more RAM, feel free to ask any of us...

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Thanks to all for there input. I'm going later to buy more memory and will lay down the files with the recovery cd. We'll see whatg happens. Thanks again.
    Regards,
    Geno

Neal A. Maxwell