Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to start learning about security?

Question How to start learning about security?

Hey all,
    Currently I'm attending school to learn about computer networking, but I've been seriously let down with the lack of curriculum based on network security. Since I've decided to have network security as a goal to specialize in, I've decided to take matters into my own hands. So I ask you:

What's the best way to learn about network security? I know that getting an abundance of books to learn from are a requirement, but there are so many topics to choose from. What topics do you think would be most important to concentrate on?

Any help is greatly appreicated!

Hi mom!
    I'm in no respect an expert, but I'm kind of struggling with the same question. I figured that before you know how to secure something, you have to know it inside out - so I started to learn about network topology (TCP/IP, OS'es, routers). Doing that, you cross that many topics, that it shouldn't be hard to pick some that interest you most. I know I am breaking down an open door here, but I hope this helps you a little.

firts you have to understand how the system that you are going to use works from there you start...

topics will come in the way of the system learning or better saying problems will come... then look for what you need to fix your problems

but if i was you i started with a little bit of TCP/IP, ports, system holes and general hacking ways
    Nobody Born The Best
    But Some Born To Be The Bests...

Thanx for the helpful replies!
    Since the curriculum at school covers such topics broadly(OS's, routers, TCP/IP, etc.), I'll probably just start delving deep into such subjects and go from there to security holes and such.

Thanx again for thelp!

Take a computer network literacy class. They get into more depth about routers, dns, TCP/IP and that stuff. Well they should.
    Also if you learn about programming you could better understand how systems work. Then you will learn to find explots and security holes.

What programming language do you recommend? I plan to go into specifics when teaching myself Linux. So would C++ be a good choice? I also heard Perl is a good one. Any ideas are appreciated.

Smile goal

If your going to learn about computer security. Set a goal and seek to accomplish it. Like trying to get A+ certified or a sisco network certification or working on securing a box against a wargames onslaught. Learning a programing language helps. Pearl is pretty good to learn if your getting into unix or linux.

people, as a system administrator (to tell you the truth) i am having trouble with networking. besides learning the true meaning and the concept of the tcp/ip. however, in learning one task one must focus himself/herself to the topic. networking is not that difficult but complicated. the best way to learn the flaws of the network security is to understand what security means. it means to say that, to understand the what, why, when, and how of the related topic. lan networking is the best way to proctice your expertise on networking. another thing is the 'wan' but it is much too complicated than lan. but it is worth a try...

*i consider myself not good at network security at all. i can hardly secure my own network and easily get hacked but with the help of others i proudly say that my network is bit of secure.
    \"The more you ignore me... the closer i get!\"

Im fairly interested in security myself. I dont do IT at work (yet). But it still interests my. Since I have a small 2 puter linux lan at home (firewall, dns, and webserver) I started playing with it. Last night I tried to break into my webserver just to see what different things would do. I guess my point is setup a lab and dont be afraid to break it.
    Bolt actions speak louder than words.

Applying what I learn is important to me because I learn best when I do it myself.
    Right now I have 2 computers, one with Win XP Pro and the other with RH Linux 6.
    Would this be sufficient for practicing network security?