Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Newbie Web Site Creation

Question Opinions on Newbie Web Site Creation

Hi and Good Day. I was just wondering if it would be necesary for me to build another newbie website? I have some good ideas about it, but i need some feedback from the people. I am a newbie myself. I got this idea from an essay i read from the author of "Hacker's Dictionary" -Eric S. Raymond-. Well i don't know if its necesary do have another newbie site, thats why i came AO to ask.

The idea is to have a complete and dedicated site to newbies. Even the HTML of the whole site will be W3C Validated and full of comments, so the newbie can see how its done and how to do it himself for his future web creations. It will also contain lots of tutorials i have read and think they should be of some use to the newbie. I hope to cover from computer usage to computer reparing and upgrading, to how to install linux and how to admnistrate it. The site is basiclly an intro on the hacker culture and on computers itself. I just want to create a well documented site that helps guide newbie in the right path to WizardHood. I by no means have intentions to put up tutorials that show the newbie on how to become a script kiddie, directly or indirectly. I believe in evey word Eric said in the essay. Heres a link http://tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

Well the only problem i have right now is that i can't find a decent host, one with no banners and at least 100MB of space. Any suggestions will be accepted with gratitud. I am just 17 and doing this alone. The site will take some time to put up, since im doing this alone and im also learning the path to become a hacker, wich all of you know its not easy.

Any people that would like to join me or help in any way, contact me at my email trans1stor@yahoo.com

Thanks For listening!
    Knowledge is Power!

--

See that no one renders to anyone evil for evil, but always pursue what is good for one another and for all. - 1 Thessalonians 5:15 -

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Very good stuff and I hope you can do it. There's a website called www.0catch.com that might help you out as far as being free with the space, although I doubt seriously you'll find a free server w/o ads as that's their lifeline (and the penalty for someone using their stuff for free).

Best of luck, and good job with the w3c valid! I do that too!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Go for it! Newbie websites are always a great help, as long as they are done well.
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

Sounds like you have a great idea. When you do have the site up and running I'd like to take a look at it because on many subjects I am still a newbie myself. Send me a link when you are done with it.

good idea... check out the link below and see if can find a good free host there...

http://www.freewebspace.net/

u can also try www.brinkster.com
    it has no banners (but webbased u/l) and gives u 30 megz... if 30 megz isn't enough then u can always register more than one account and link 'em all together... I don't know if that's against brinkster's user policy so read it carefully if u decide to use their service that way...
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds

Re: Opinions on Newbie Web Site Creation

yes thats a great idea!) I think every newbie needs some help and every good page on net is very useful!) so go for it...

and about that hosting... as vorlin said - www.0catch.com might help...

good luck in your work!)

Re: Opinions on Newbie Web Site Creation

yes thats a great idea!) I think every newbie needs some help and every good page on net is very useful!) so go for it...

and about that hosting... as vorlin said - www.0catch.com might help...

good luck in your work!)

if u are interested in creating your own site...then try
    www.geocities.com but this site gives u little less space....
    u can also try www.tripod.com this site will give u 20 MB space for free...
    and also it is very easy to build up your own pages...

hope this helps...

intruder...

hey...when I first made my pages I registered with stormpages ...so that's

yourname.stormpages.com

and then i edited the index.html file to redirect to my brinkster account so when people want the URL i give them myname.stormpages.com but really the site is www25.brinkster.com/yourname

just an idea...brinkster has 30 megs of space ad NO BANNERS!!! stormpages has banners...thats why the redirect is there...I don't think you will find 100 MB space anywheres that doesnt have a "catch". Just link the brinkster accounts together.

Also, i reccoment macromedia products. You can download the demos which are 30 day trials. you used to be able to crack them very easily, but now they have new versions out and they are harder to crack. Just go to http://astalavista.box.sk
    and do a search there.

Dreamweaver is for webpages, fireworks is for photo editing and flash is for pages too...a little more complex to use but its a great program, there are lots of tutorials out there. I hope this helps good luck!

Thanks

WOW! I didnt know it was such a good idea. Thanks for the support. The same day i posted i found about 0catch.com at http://www.thefreesite.com [ very good site by the way]

You can all see how's the web site going to look like, comments and suggestions email me. trans1stor@yahoo.com If you want to join me or help me out in whatever way email me.

http://baseofchange.0catch.com

Should i remove the banner with a script or just leave it there?

Opinions, opinions, ........

P.S The site is going to be simple. No GIF's and absolutely no animation, blinking text or images. Just a simple layout and lots of content.
    Knowledge is Power!

--

See that no one renders to anyone evil for evil, but always pursue what is good for one another and for all. - 1 Thessalonians 5:15 -