Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its official, I now have a fav linux distro...

Its official, I now have a fav linux distro...

Not security related, butt..

Suse 7.3 has just convinced me.

reason???

because just when I installed it using one of their pre setup templates the wheel on my wheel mouse works for scrolling websites.

This has never happened to me before with any linux distro, and I have tried 4 or 5.

It was never important enough for me to figure out how to make it work, but it sure made my day today to find that it worked by defautl with Suse 7.3. I didnt even try it on purpose, was a total accident.

Arrow

The newest Mandrake also comes with the wheelmouse capability built-in. (although it was never really all that horrible to get it to work on any other distro)
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

good topic about linux! let me research for it for a while and figure it out what happen...
    \"The more you ignore me... the closer i get!\"

Ivan37,

Im sure it is pretty easy to make it work,

I never tried it mostly cause I didnt really care,

But at work for many of my tasks, I have to use Windows, so the scrolling is a bit of a habbit.

but hey,

The best part for me is, that the more things just work like that in linux, the more likely that more people will be able to use it, and the more likely that more people will use it.

New to it and stuff

great i was gong to get redhat/mandrake or suse to start with to learn on most peeps seam tofavor redhat or mandrake form what i have read((im new so not read alot of the post proptionaly to the amouth there are, though read as much as my little brain can take in)) so what do peeps recon, which is the best to learn on? still nice to hear somthng about suse
    ForeverLearning

I used Red Hat between the time Windows 2000 died and the time I got SuSE 7.3, And my wheel doesn't work, although it did on Red Hat 7. I'm sure I can fix it (but I'm too lazy), and I still like SuSE better, but I think it's a total coincidence that nothing picked it up until SuSE.

SuSE does kick ass though.....
    (gotta love YAST2)

hmm,

my last distro was redhat 7.1

and the wheel mouse defintely did not work.

I am however thinging of taking back my rousing endorsement of Suse7.3, cause, on my home machine(just now) I was doing a custom install, and it reached disk 7(I went and got the professional version) it hung(for a very long time)... oh no... now it wants disk 2 again.

grrrrrrr... will let ya'll know how it goes.

Mandrake was the 1st Distro I found that got the mouse wheel working and they did this a couple of years back.

I personally use SuSE 7.3 and would recommend it to anyone, it's well worth buying!

J.

PS.
    You can try a utility called imwheel from here that may help you get scrolling if your using a distro that doesn't nativley support mouse wheel scrolling.

I always found using imps/2 as the protocol and /dev/psaux as the device in the pointer section of xf86config did the trick for me.

Originally posted by IchNiSan
    The best part for me is, that the more things just work like that in linux, the more likely that more people will be able to use it, and the more likely that more people will use it.
    And it becomes one step closer to windows.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.