Thread: war tools for *nix?

war tools for *nix?

I was wondering why all the war tools progs seem to be written for use in windows? Is there any special reason that I am missing? I know divine intervention, and a few others would be fairly sweet for linux. Anyone know of any that fit that bill?
    Bolt actions speak louder than words.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar

unix tools

The most obvious reason why most tools are written in windows....you don't need them in unix. The people that run war tools are mostly script kiddies. They wouldn't know how to set up a *nix box in the first place.

Second reason...you don't know where to look. Etheral is considered a "war tool" for WinNT. There are countless sniffers out there for *nix. It is just that no one lables them as war tools, because they actually serve a purpose, other then hacking.

ahh, I see said the blind man. I was just curious as to why. THanks!

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Because windows is inherently easy to use (isn't that what got them where they are now?) and visual basic is pretty much a drag-and-drop application that allows just about anyone to "code"..just ask the dozens and dozens of brand-spanking-new "programmers" that MS is hiring right out of college to bang on all those new little programs and features that're being shoved out the door half-assed. *nix is a lot more in depth and isn't something that just someone can pick up and use. Windows is a point-and-click environment which anyone, even brainless lusers, can pick up and just do.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Sad isnt it. I have been reading C and C++ books trying to get a clue on programming, and some php and mysql, and still have no idea what Im doing. But that isnt stopping me from trying all the more anyway. This point and click interface for programming is eventually gonna blow up in someone's face.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    You seem to be on the right track, although learning C and C++ at the same time can be quite a daunting task. What I'd do is learn C first (as that's the base) and then go to C++ to learn the differences and whatnot. My C++ is limited as we write everything in C here, but also I like to use a lot of perl (www.perl.com) which is ABSOLUTELY GREAT for text manipulation (something which c/c++ sucks at) and db calls. Best of luck to ya!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.