Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Battlebots

<grin> Sure, the jaws of life may be overkill ... but, still - can you imagine it? I'm pretty sure that IF a bot were to get caught in them, it'd have a ragged gaping tear in the skin. And that would be some good fun. Also, as for the spike ... a garage door spring ... let's see - would that be DISECTOR who uses that? I think that's the bot that punched through a walker's armour (if I remember correctly) - it was pretty cool.

Of course, if we *really* wanted to build an AO bot, maybe it'd end up employing the "break up and rejoin at the end of the match" routine - that's legal if you can get everything to join back up via r/c (read: velcro). I think it'd be great to have about 10 people with a "mega-bot" that splits off into 10 small robots and just surrounds and zaps, jabs, pushes, and hammers away at the opponent.

Of course, the electrical work would likely be staggering.

~N~

heh what about a chemical bot? one that sprays like acid or something.... oor...i've seen a good bot it used a co2 flipper and it bassiccly beat all the opponents within the first minute.
    but then are you planning to build a heavy bot or a light bot?
    -[h3llbringer] is back, again.
    -MSN CLoNE.

I never said it wouldn't be kickass. It would be completely kickass.....when it worked. I just said it wouldn't be too effective in battle. No, it wasn't Dissector that I was thinking of. I believe that one uses pneumatics (or maybe hydraulics?) for its hammers. It does, however, have a set of jaws that are quite effective. The one that used the garage door spring doesn't compete anymore. It's a shame, too. It missed more often that not, and it was slow and bulky, but when it scored a hit, it was awesome. Mauler's hits were even more awesome, though. Every time Mauler touched the other bot, it looked like an explosion. Parts were EVERYWHERE. I wish they would bring that one back. It was truly an awesome spectacle.

I think the breaking bot would probably be breaking a rule or two, but if you want to get into "no-rules" combat, I have a great idea. It's really simple, and sounds horrible, but it would be very effective. Basically what I would do, is alter a go-cart (stripped-down, and slightly downsized, of course) to be controlled remotely. To that, I would mount a Browning M2 .50 machine gun about 6" off the ground. The only reason it would be a machine gun is to make the crowd happy. One hit from one of those, and the bot WILL die. After all, one would expect an anti-tank/aircraft round to take out even the toughest battlebot. I just hope the recoil wouldn't disable my own bot.

Maybe I'll attach a tennis ball launcher to it as well, to hurl tennis ball bombs/mines (which are easy to make) at the enemy/around the arena. That would make things REALLY interesting!

hellbringer: I have a better idea for a chemical bot. I think it should be nothing but a big, stationary speaker that says "I hate AntiOnline for no good reason" and "la la la la la la" while the other bot beats the hell out of it.

Originally posted by stflook
    hellbringer: I have a better idea for a chemical bot. I think it should be nothing but a big, stationary speaker that says "I hate AntiOnline for no good reason" and "la la la la la la" while the other bot beats the hell out of it.
    Umm.well yeah that would be intresting...except what does that have to do with chemicals?!?!
    -[h3llbringer] is back, again.
    -MSN CLoNE.

I was talking about the AntiOnline member.

Sweet

All I have to say is wow. Stflook, you know what you're talking aboot. Thanks for the support on this, I guess I'm not alone on this topic. l3aDmOnKeY is right, it probably won't get anywhere without a buttload of money, which I don't have. Maybe someone can take over the building of the bot, either someone else or I, and we all can coordinate and help with the design. Does anyone wanna do the building?

BTW, there is a set of rules that you have to follow for the different weight classes, such as walking bots can weigh more. When I find the full list of rules, I'll post a link.
    RedTheFed

\"If you can\'t make it good, make it look good.\" - Bill Gates

that was quick

The link for the rules is here. Have fun !
    RedTheFed

\"If you can\'t make it good, make it look good.\" - Bill Gates

Originally posted by stflook

ROTFLMAO@stflook..now thats funny!

I think it is a great way to represent us. go for it!!

Just as long as you don't concentrate too much on looks. It should be more efficient. Too many times I have seen bots that could have worked but they were more focused on how it looks or the idea of an ultimate weapon. Half the time the weapon disconnects or just isn't affective. Always have spare parts. Always check the engine. Always check the energy supply. Perfect all connections, wires and such. Any belts on it must fit perfectly and be brand-spanking new. It must take damage and be hard to flip but easy to steer. If it can flip it better be easy to re-adjust.

I would love to be there to see your plans. I would really love to be part of the construction team.

I have almost no money to donate. You really had better start a Build-our-bot fund going. take a collection. Start with our humble AO creator. Get permission to use the name and hit him up for some cash.
    \"And everyone knows, that the world is full of stupid people\"

BattleBots, Man i love that show. And think yes it'sa GREAT Idea
    to make a AntiOnline Bot.

But errr... this comment here

You better use a fast accelerater .. I saw mauler get taken out by a fast ass wedge before it could get it's hammers going. Once it was flipped over it was helpless.

he/she is RIGHT... there are a few bots that I saw that can you out QUICK of you don't have fast accesloration or the bot has quick speed.

I would make the bots spin and have side spikes on it. however I think if you could somehow only have the outer layer of the bot to spin ( where the spikes are to wrd off the intruder) and the center of the bot will NOT spin and have it's own battle equiptment ( a heave Sledge hammer to pound the affender or
    somethign of the like ) and a scooper underneath the bot to Trip
    the oponet or push into one of the many traps that are set in the rink)

How's that sound LOL!!!
    Corynthus