Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News that Matters?!?

Huffman Coding, the most prevalent encoding algorithm in use today
    Mmmm ... how about Diffie or RSH? Since PGP is based (as far as my knowledge goes, which may well be dated, too) on RSH, I'd have thought this to be the most prevalent...?

Anyone have any figures on this? It'd be interesting, if a bit cerebral, to check out the stats.

Also, the problem (which seems to be implicitly covered in the document) is this: when you are building a state diagram, you have to have different "branches"... <backing off it a bit> okay - if you have a code which is "0011101", then you can't have a code which is "0" or which is "0011", as the FSM model won't know if you're going to put in the "011101" or "101" respectively ... so you solve this by either having a seperate control code at the start of each discrete element (i.e. "000111"), THEN you can do a "0001110" and a "0001110011", as it knows to keep going until it sees "000111", which is a new element. The other way to do this is with a tree, somewhat like the following:
    0 1
    0/\1 0/\1
    ('A')0/\1 ('C') ('x')0/\1

and so on.

This method seems to be covered in the article (shame on me, I just glanced through!).

Out of curiosity ... has anyone in here taken Automata Theory (upper-level Computer Science course)? If so, I'm sure that you could describe the FSM approach much better than I - I'm a bit rusty.

~N~

Um...I'm speaking of compression algorithms, it would seem you are talking about encryption algorithms...
    \"It\'s only arrogrance if you can\'t back it up, otherwise it is confidence.\" - Me

Ummm ... yeah, you're right. Sorry about that!

Good catch. BTW: is Huffman used in LZH compression?

~N~